TRIME TIME!! My First Ever!

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well today I finally left my "Killer" site and went to another site. There are two sites within walking distance of each other. I worked one of the sites only one time and found the Benedict and Burnham button. Today I went to the second site and after about two hours all I had was 1 flat button and I was getting a little discouraged. THEN IT HAPPENED! I got a 11/29, 6/29, 8/29 ID # on the E-trac. The ferrous numbers bounced but the 29 never changed even on the 90 turn. I've never found a 3 center, so I didn't know what numbers to expect!! I can tell you one thing for sure, when I found it in the pile of dirt/mud I was beyond THRILLED/SURPRISED!!!!
icon_surprised.gif
I did the happy dance for a minute!

That got me re-energized and I worked the site another couple of hours and got another surprise. I found a 1854 Napoleon III EMPEREUR DIX (10) CENTIMES! It rang up like an Indian penny. Needless to say both of these coins are first for me! I imagine Napoleon was holed at the top and it tore/wore completely through the edge. I'm surprised the photo of Napoleon is not any better! It is really pretty crisp and detailed. I think it is a Bronze composition verses copper, as coppers never stand up well to the chemicals the farmers use in the fields.

Attachments

• photo (27).JPG
    photo (27).JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 187
  • photo (28).JPG
    photo (28).JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 194
  • photo (30).JPG
    photo (30).JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 645
  • photo (29).JPG
    photo (29).JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 644
Upvote 25

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds makes me want to get out and dig more !

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Great finds- congratulations on the trime. That one has eluded me so far- but I'm hopeful that I have enough spots lined up this Spring/Summer/Fall to find my first. I don't use a Minelab- could you tell me what that signal sounded like and/or what it registered as (VDI)? Did it sound like a copper penny, clad dime, etc.? Just curious... if I'm lucky enough to walk over one I want to make sure to dig it! Again, congratulations- hope you find another! ~Geoff

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! Congrats!

I would have loved to have seen that happy dance!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds!! Bet that made your day seeing both those come out of the hole.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rare coin to find!! Big congrats on your hunt!

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds- congratulations on the trime. That one has eluded me so far- but I'm hopeful that I have enough spots lined up this Spring/Summer/Fall to find my first. I don't use a Minelab- could you tell me what that signal sounded like and/or what it registered as (VDI)? Did it sound like a copper penny, clad dime, etc.? Just curious... if I'm lucky enough to walk over one I want to make sure to dig it! Again, congratulations- hope you find another! ~Geoff

Thank you! I was using two-tone ferrous mode, so all you hear are grunts-for Iron or a bit of a higher tone for all other non-Iron, then you must compare ID numbers to determine if you want to recover the target. The ID numbers on this came in at 6/29, 8/29, 11/29. The fe side was bouncy but the conductive side never changed. I have never found Silver at this low of a conductive number. As you can see it looks to have some possible "rust" staining on the reverse. It may be that there was some Iron/nails in with it, that would explain the low ID numbers, but I didn't search the dirt pile after finding the coin! I thought at best I was chasing a button, boy was I surprised! I've been hunting 5 years now, and since I learned the US made these coins it has been on my Bucket List! Now I have one in a 2x2 coin slip!

muddpuppy

Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice recovery Mental. I have been lucky enough to find two in the last year or so and one of the nickel variety. Both of the trimes were 52s, like yours, must have been a popular year.

Keep Swinging!!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic finds. Congrats.

Love your screen name btw.

I should have thought of that one myself given my usual state of mind!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Killer trime Metal!
Mi$terG, the only one I found rang in like a zinc cent and it was sitting right on top of the ground in the woods. They are so tiny and light it looked like it was lighter than the soil and floated on top!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I noticed that your avatar changed... now I know why! Congrats on a really nice find. GL&HH!

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed that your avatar changed... now I know why! Congrats on a really nice find. GL&HH!
Thanks Tom. Yea I couldn't resist. I mean the other was the Sweetest Indian I've ever found, but this one is a Trime! and my only one. I'm thankful it is in pretty decent shape!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Tom. Yea I couldn't resist. I mean the other was the Sweetest Indian I've ever found, but this one is a Trime! and my only one. I'm thankful it is in pretty decent shape!

The IHC was a killer, but I agree, a trime is really hard to come by... and in nice condition! Again, congrats on a really nice... I'm jealous!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool 1852!! That 1854 is interesting find also!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread