Could this be an old bullet?

Anthonywayne

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2009
Camden Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Dirt fishing in my yard today and found what I thought was a lead screw-on top to something. On closer examination I saw that there were no threads on the inside and on the outside it looks like reversed rifling any ideas on what it is? It is very much like a thimble but mad of lead and the hollowed out inside is to small for the tip of a finger. IMG_1623.JPG IMG_1624.JPG

Upvote 1

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
depends on what you hope is old...it is not civil war era...likely a modern (1930s-present day) shotgun slug

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
It could be an old rifled slug, but I'm a bit fuzzy on that.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Fuzzy!(GIB) l.o.l..

Looks like a foster slug. 20 Guage is about dime face width.

morning-breath-dog-framed.jpg

Attachments

• morning-breath-dog-framed.jpg
    morning-breath-dog-framed.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Anthonywayne

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2009
Camden Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Thought that might be what it was, haven't shota shotgun only rifles and hand guns, don't know anything about shotgun rounds, thanks for the help.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thought that might be what it was, haven't shota shotgun only rifles and hand guns, don't know anything about shotgun rounds, thanks for the help.

Well Sir. A foster has those fins to, in theory better stabilize it's flight.
Used in smooth bore (nonrifled) shotgun barrels.
They are an improvement over the old pumpkin style slugs and roundballs of the past.
The Brenneke is a slight improvement over the foster with it's bad-mitten birdy type attachment behind it. Many of today's hunters have gone to rifled barrels and more accurate, but more costly saboted slugs. A foster should not be used in a rifled barrel.
Cheap me uses the foster in a smooth bore.
Neat finds, and they ring up so nice on the detector they insist on being recovered...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread