Another Civil War Find in my Backyard!!!

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's really cold today so I just went out for a bit. The second to last signal I got, I almost didn't dig because I was ready to head in. That said, because it was in a flower bed, I figured it was easy enough.

WOW! Hooray! I think... I hope... It's from the Civil War. :hello2:

It is iron and I believe it's possibly grapeshot from a cannon? It weighs a little over 4 ounces and is about 3 centimeters.

The sun is going down and I'm still cold but I might have to go back out for a last look. Stay tuned and thanks for looking.

IMG_2789.jpg IMG_2790.jpg
Civil War Cannon Grapeshot.jpg

Upvote 8

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any things possible.
CHECK THAT THING OUT GOOD. A NICE PIECE TO ADD TO ANY COLLECTION. IMO

RushinPA

Mar 11, 2010
Gardners, PA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, F-75
Nice finds, may I suggest a closer look at the items in the first picture. The straight iron objects may be nails, or perhaps parts to fuses. I am not an authority, but that was my thought being found near the grapeshot.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dang - grape shot in your back YARD DC! I drive an hour to do worse than that!

OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, may I suggest a closer look at the items in the first picture. The straight iron objects may be nails, or perhaps parts to fuses. I am not an authority, but that was my thought being found near the grapeshot.

LOL! I actually live near Fort Bayard, down the street from what was Fort Gaines, near Battery Kemble and close to Fort Reno. According to all of the maps, my property was wooded and right next to a clearing and a military road. Not sure if there was a camp site but I do find what I think are stakes, lots of charcoal and bones and some railroad stuff.

So far my yard has produced a Civil War high impact 3-ring, lead pieces, a lead musket or minie ball (?) and now the iron ball. I was just about to give up on my yard until this latest find. My friend owns a house that is across the street from Fort Bayard and is on the list of historical sites. I'm dying to hit her yard. NY Camp Near Tenleytown.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread