Two hunts...Two silver quarters!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I am more of a jewelry hunter and hit my local parks most of the time that aren't that old but I have found silver in a few from time to time.
Once in awhile I hit an older park and I do find some older coins, mostly dimes.
I just had 2 hunts in a row where I found silver quarters so this is a first for me and a great start to the new season.
These were both found in a newer public park that I hunt looking for jewelry, but there is a house still standing right in the middle that the family lived in when this site was a big ol' farm.
Not fenced in or anything and open to hunt so I just assumed other hunters scoured the home area since it dates back to at least the 50's or maybe earlier.
I might have been wrong about that.
In this case I love being wrong.

The first one I found was the 51...pretty worn but still beautiful to me.
The one I found today, 1961, looks like it came from the mint and was just dropped in the dirt.
Happy camper here, I will return because who knows, there might be more waiting.

Attachments

• P1050890.jpg
    P1050890.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 1961.jpg
    1961.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 7
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the silver finds!

Chrisc65

Mar 15, 2015
Suquamish, WA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just curious here... Do some of the silver finds u guys find come from beaches? or mostly properties pre-1960? My dad tells me if I ask around to use my detector on properties that I'll get arrested LOL. Very doubtful for just asking a question... Idk I just haven't had very good luck up here in WA... Maybe cause I'm not going to the right areas or haven't gotten out and around, idk.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will find more silver coins and jewelry in the lawns of private properties than anywhere else... all you gotta do is ask!

davehky

Jan 3, 2007
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 garrette pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats to you! Took me over 3 years to find silver quarters! Great feeling!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!! You can't beat a couple silver quarters waiting on the jewelry to show.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just curious here... Do some of the silver finds u guys find come from beaches? or mostly properties pre-1960? My dad tells me if I ask around to use my detector on properties that I'll get arrested LOL. Very doubtful for just asking a question... Idk I just haven't had very good luck up here in WA... Maybe cause I'm not going to the right areas or haven't gotten out and around, idk.

Give this some thought. If you want to find silver (pre 1964) coins you have to metal detect in areas where there was activity a few years after 1964 and earlier. The older the property the odds of finding silver coins increases as does the variety of coins you may find. Find an area in your town that was built up in the 40s and early 50s if you can. Take a shower, shave, put on some nice clothes and start on one end of a block and work your way down the street knocking on doors. This is best done on a weekend when you stand a much better chance of catching a homeowner at home or better yet outside. Introduce yourself, smile, be polite and explain what your hobby is and work into asking for their permission to metal detect on their property. Be SURE you cut very clean plugs prior to hunting in someone's yard. If you do offer to show them what one of your plugs looks like when you're finished looking for a target. A lot of people fear you're going to make a mess of their yard.

It is easier to get permission I find on properties where the homeowner doesn't have a beautifully manicured lawn even though they are the best for leaving invisible plug holes. One question that comes up a LOT is what do you hope to find. I almost always tell them I collect wheat pennies and that is what I would be hoping to find. I ask if they or a relative may have lost any jewelry that I might look for for them.

DO NOT compile a list of YES permissions. Strike while the iron is hot. If someone says yes ask if they mind if you start right then as you have limited time to pursue your hobby. If you leave and come back another day you've given them a chance to reconsider and sometimes the invitation to hunt will be retracted.

Prior to knocking on your first door make a script of the things you want to say. Study it to the point you're comfortable saying it without the script. I still get a bit tongue tied when asking for permissions.

Hope this is at least a little helpful. And remember, you are a much better metal detectorist when you have permission and can relax and pay close attention to your machine as opposed to looking over your shoulder.

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great double silver find. Nice condition too.

I love pulling silver out of the ground and back into the light. Sometimes it looks like it was just dropped.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread