SUPRISE CW FINDS

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Present: Minelab equinox 600
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A buddy and I were hunting some of his families property. We were told that there was an old house at the gate of the pasture at one time so we decided to give it a try. After a couple of hours of digging tons of iron I decided to venture out into the pasture to get away from all the iron and started digging up bullets. My friend told me his family said something about they thought there might have been cw activity on the property. Well I guess they were right. I know the bullets and knapsack hook are cw, but not sure about the buckles.

20150328_222056.jpg

Upvote 9
OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it may have been a camp... would they have camped in the woods or in the pasture? I'm trying to learn more about how they thought. The bullets were found in the side of a hill. Almost like they were shot out of the woods into the field for some reason. There is way too much land to hunt but just trying to get some thoughts to maybe narrow things down a little.

Man o' War

Mar 15, 2014
N.E. Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000
Primary Interest:
Other
Narrow it down with your detector. What's pasture could have been woods back then and vise versa. Just hammer that place and be happy. You could be stuck in Oklahoma lol

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that's true, but I'm afraid I won't be able to get in there much. Maybe next weekend if I'm lucky lol

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The places we hunt that are confirmed camps, we usually find a lot of melted lead. We found a side of a hill at one camp that we know they used to target shoot. Found shot bullets sometimes 3 or 4 in same hole. The bank was loaded!! Great finds. The more you find the more you'll know. That's the best part to me

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't hunted the woods as of yet, but that is exactly as it seems... like they were shooting at the hill for some reason. Once I go back I may hit the woods. Are the bullets I found confederate? They don't have the rings on them

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
they look like Gardner bullets to me which would mean Confederate camp.. They dont look fired. probably drops. Fired will have rifling marks and be mashed up from impact

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't hunted the woods as of yet, but that is exactly as it seems... like they were shooting at the hill for some reason. Once I go back I may hit the woods. Are the bullets I found confederate? They don't have the rings on them

Look like British infields to me ,witch were used by Confederates

Here is an infield bullet infeild.jpg

Last edited:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they look like Gardner bullets to me which would mean Confederate camp.. They dont look fired. probably drops. Fired will have rifling marks and be mashed up from impact

I agree about being dropped The fired bullets I have found are distorted and easy to tell the difference

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah my friend said they look dropped... I just assumed fired because they were all on the side of the hill and not on top. I'm still green on cw relics, but they are the main things I like to find. Pretty much all of the known battlefield areas around here are off limits, but this place is in the same county and private property.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its the same way were I live. All the known sites are protected. But there were a lot of men at these camps/engagements, they covered a lot of ground and had pickets and look outs spread far and wide. If you can get permission on private land in the general area, go for it. You have to pound a lot of ground, but it is fun to try and figure out what they were doing and can pay of well. Lot of the stuff I find comes from the most unlikely places and was stumbled on. That is what is so cool about this hobby, never know were or when!!

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have three known camps that aren't protected nearby but I've only been able to find bits and pieces... like where they say the camps were are more like general areas or something. One of the camps said they had about 4000 troupe from all over training there at one given time. I haven't found anything there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread