Is it possibble?????please help

Kings gold

Greenie
Mar 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone!! My names martin!! And i must say im not really a gold prospecter well!!! Not up until today that is!!;-))) lol!! Ive been out for a walk here in norway and come across some quartz which was on a little rocky slop, so i just got the urge to check it out ;) so i did and saw almost straight away that there was a lot of very small fine gold speeks all around the rock!!
So i thought ok i must of had one to many to drink last night!!;)
But anyway i took the rocks home with me and washed the gold speeks off over a bowl and saw there was hundreds of small kind of like gold dust flakes;))))) and on closer inspection i can see that there is gold in the quartz:hello2::happysmiley: can you kind people tell me what i should be doing now with the quartz and the place where i found it because this was just a small bit i took because i wasnt sure in the beginning if i was seeing things!!! But i know what gold looks like..
Is this common to find this or have i been very lucky?
Thanks for any good info ...

Upvote 0

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Post some pictures of these rocks?

OP
OP
K

Kings gold

Greenie
Mar 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rocks not that good with posting on here hope you see them?

image.jpg
Post some pictures of these rocks?

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's hard to tell by the pics but if I were you, I would definitely go back to that spot and look for more.
You may have something really good right under your feet or on the slope or wherever.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is sometimes hard to capture "true" color in pictures, but it doesn't look good to me.

gold-quartz-05.JPG

One easy way to be sure is crush one, and pan.

OP
OP
K

Kings gold

Greenie
Mar 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys i wil be back there today for sure. Looked at stones again today and really need to take a better picture guys
Thamks again!!!!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good ole fool's gold. If it washes around easily then that's what you have.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Possibly, iron pyrites or mica (fool’s gold), but those are brittle and will not pass a hardness test. Gold is soft. If you press against it with the sharp edge of a knife, gold will dent but mica or pyrite will not dent and may break.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am on the fence as it is difficult to determine whether it is Gold, Mica or Pyrite from the pics. Try pricking some of the pieces that are on the surface of the Quartz with a needle or fine-sharp pointed knife. If it flakes off or breaks, then it is either Mica or Pyrite but if it dents, then it is probably Gold.

Frank

OP
OP
K

Kings gold

Greenie
Mar 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys thanks for your replies my conclusion is it's pyrite!(( because it's breaking and crushing when I'm getting it off the rock.... Some one told me to try vinegar and if it goes black then it's not gold , so I did and it turned black;) but is it true that where you find fools gold that there's a good chance you can find real??
Hope soo)) thanks again guys!!!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread