GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the weather absolutely perfect this weekend, I got out and hunted an old home site here in S.W. Georgia yesterday. The site seems to only produce and five and ten cent pieces. Nothing more and no pennies. I keep hoping for a large cent but none ever turn up. The highlight for me was when I pulled up, the farmer had just plowed the field as a matter of fact after I had been there for about a half hour he ran back through the small area I hunt with the plow so I could hunt it some more. I'm sure I looked like a "cow-bird" walking behind the tractor. These two half dimes were about sixty feet apart. fyrffytr1 and I have been hunting this field for a number of years now and about every time it gets plowed we find some more coins and buttons. The 1839 & 1843 were found yesterday. The other pictures are of what else has been found there. fyrffytr1 has his own collection from this same spot and is encouraged to post his pictures on here as well.

Attachments

• 1839 & 1843.jpg
    1839 & 1843.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 138
  • All.jpg
    All.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 184
  • I.jpg
    I.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 151
Upvote 15

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very possible this was a little cache, stash, or hoard that got spread out from years of working the ground ? Just a thought.

Especially because of finding new finds when the ground gets turned, just maybe a whole bumch more there too ?
What kind of machines you guys using ?
What's the deepest dug silver you've dug ?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must be your field of silver! Congrats !

I'm still looking for a half dime.

OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very possible this was a little cache, stash, or hoard that got spread out from years of working the ground ? Just a thought.

Especially because of finding new finds when the ground gets turned, just maybe a whole bumch more there too ?
What kind of machines you guys using ?
What's the deepest dug silver you've dug ?

That's been discussed as a possibility. The coins are normally found not too deep after the plow comes through which seems to pop up just a few each year. We've been out there with various types of detectors. White's mostly, Wayfas4U hunts with a Garrett and another fellow has a Minelab. The two from this weekend were about two inches down (after a shallow plow) I've probed out there looking for the outhouse but have had no luck so far. There is really old & good looking black glass there. Other items found out there that I know of but don't have a picture of is a C.S.A. coat button and a pelican cuff. Maybe I'll get lucky and pull one of those one day.

Last edited:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's nothing like a freshly plowed up field. My skin always tingles when I drive by a field that's been freshly plowed.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find rebel. Hope you get more

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, That is quite a puzzle, lots of different and good machines, yet most finds shallow. The reason I do find it strange is for a house site that is a lot of silvers...head scratch.

In any case if your still finding the silver, I'd keep going back.

Another question, you mention the black glass so are you finding many buttons ? or, are you mostly concentrating on higher tones / ID numbers ? As there could be goodies in the mid tones / lower number IDs.

Sometimes a pic. of all the junk helps figure things out. I usually post one pic of everything from a hunt first then the better stuff. I guess I'm curious as to what else you got.

It's just a very good site I think is far from hunted out.

Good Luck Out There.

Rick

PS, I'm a little envious right now of the members who have no snow, and thawed ground....waiting. (laughing smiley)

Last edited:
OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick,

We dig every target with a positive VDI number -even if I know it's likely trash and take it out. There is lots of iron there and plenty of aluminum can pieces. There has been some harmonica pieces found there as well as old parasol pieces. I don't know how many musket balls we've pulled. Most are small and I assume are either pistol rounds or perhaps, old buckshot..

Last edited:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have also pulled several union eagle buttons from the same area. I think they may have been war souvenirs because there was no Civil War activity anywhere near this site. And, most of the buttons are different.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread