🥇 BANNER Plate Plate Plate!!!! Cincinnati Ohio

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this is one of those finds you see other people dig up on YouTube but never expect to really find one yourself. Well today it happened, I grabbed one of my great white Buffaloes!!! Lol ..The day started by getting rejected at a few places but because of perseverance I ended up at a 1850s mansion in Cincinnati. Right next to that beautiful red brick side of the house I blindly wrapped my hands around this plate at every bit of 8 inches. The dirt is still moist so please advise on how I should clean this since I'm not finding relics like this every day.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 58
OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all so much for your input and for nominating banner. As Parsonwalker suggested, I celebrated with some Skyline during my lunch break. I grew up in the Cincinnati area and metal detecting has been a great hobby (obsession) since I graduated from college 2 years ago. This being a Ohio Volunteers plate is just so special to me with the added local history and I'm going to continue researching its tie to the area.

Any further advice on how to clean the dirt off of it? There's definitely that deep brown patina underneath and I literally had a nightmare last night that I ruined it with water lol. Any idea if there's some inherent damage in letting it completely dry out, as it is well on its way? If leaving the dirt on it as is wont further the degradation process, I may do that until I get comfortable on what to do---thanks again!!!

FamilyFun2010

Apr 16, 2010
Morehead, Ky
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites TRX pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome looking plate!! Hope it cleans up nice!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an incredible find. I'm a colonial lover but I sure can appreciation that beauty

echodog

Oct 29, 2012
That is a unbelievable piece. The local md'ing club would love to see that if you would like to show it off.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find! It's in awesome shape! Congrats! Rare lifetime find!
Congrats on making a well deserved Banner! Nice!

RedCardHack

Oct 2, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Save!! RCH.

Last edited:

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! I just found my first in January... Man that's a beut!

OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rinsed it off and sure glad I did. Much more appealing to look at. I didn't want to use a brush and take off any patina. When wet its this super rich brown but I hesitate in keeping oil on it or anything. Any ideas? I've put this in a riker case
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From a Virginian who lived in Cincinnati (Price Hill while attending Cincinnati Bible College) I am FLOORED. First, ditto what everybody else said, but I knew a lot of the great Old Timers like Mac Mason, Gary Williams, et al. Even back in the 60s and 70s and OVM drew a LOT of attention, and was considered a killer plate. To find it in Cincy . . . I mean some boy bringing that thing back HOME . . . and then to lose it . . . and all these years later you pull it up. Just WOW. Huge congrats to you. That one will be awfully hard to top. First one I've EVER seen on Tnet. You're at the top of the heap today my friend . . . treat yourself to some Skyline. Or Trottas!

Trottas? I probably delivered your pizza! ow It is, sadly, long gone. But this OVM would definitely have been Lotta Trotta worthy! And it is most certainly Graeter's Mocha Chip worthy!!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw your cleaned photo, and it looks fantastic. NO OIL. Just put it in a case as-is. That right there is a perfect plate, and they don't get dug in that condition very often anymore. So you have both rarity and condition on your side. Every bit of a banner find there. Congrats!

-Buckleboy

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Trottas? I probably delivered your pizza! ow It is, sadly, long gone. But this OVM would definitely have been Lotta Trotta worthy! And it is most certainly Graeter's Mocha Chip worthy!!!

Fever - (As in "Johnny Fever, per chance??) We ordered quite a few "Lotta Trottas" in the men's dorm at CBC&S between 1983-1987! Sad to hear it's gone! Cool that you happened to read my post!! Yeah, I thought about suggesting Graeters too . . . how about UDF? And Sam's Chili on Price Hill Ave?? Chester's Road House?

As BuckleBoy said, don't touch that buckle any further! You did the right thing and it's PERFECT. Love that you left the nail. Accident or on purpose, It's cool that it's there. Just gorgeous and the envy of every CW relic hunter that hasn't found one (and probably never will). A few have been found in Central Virginia. It doesn't need a thing! Sometimes the hardest thing to do, is leave a relic alone. You should do just that!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rinsed it off and sure glad I did. Much more appealing to look at. I didn't want to use a brush and take off any patina. When wet its this super rich brown but I hesitate in keeping oil on it or anything. Any ideas? I've put this in a riker case
View attachment 1139312
View attachment 1139315
View attachment 1139316

Looks fine the way it is, no oil. Now please take a pic of it next to or over a ruler so we can see the exact size. I used to deal in CW buckles, had several OVMs but never the smaller size like yours and am very curious if it is the same size as the small US oval plates. Thanks, Gene ----PS congrats again!!

OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll post another tonight next to a ruler when i get home from work but it's definitely on the smaller side. I'd say its its the neighborhood of 3 in or less
20150329_161238.jpg

OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the pictures next to the ruler. Is this the type 553 in McDonnell and campbell that's been referenced? Any idea on value in this condition ? 1427842550638.jpg

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That belt is incredibly gorgeous, congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread