Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out prospecting between thunderstorms yesterday and found this. Not what you would call a normal find but interesting to me non the less. Another of the advantages to getting out and metal detecting is being able to observe things you don't ordinarily pay attention to. It's called a Luna Moth and is of the silkworm variety. It's quite large, about the size of a post it note. Monty

Attachments

• Moth 002.jpg
    Moth 002.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,616
Upvote 0

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
Wow, Luna's are very rare. I remember as a kid finding Secropia moths <im sure that is a brutal spelling, but another large moth> and maybe two Luna's in a childhood. For some reason they would be around after storms cleared. Very hard to find. Kind of the gold coin of moths. lol.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those aren't moths those are Dragons, don't upset it or it will turn into a full size Dragon and eat you!!
Hmmmm, I think I have been playing to much WoW!!

paul1410

Feb 6, 2007
Land of the Cheese Steak
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado, White's Spectrum XLT
And now for something completely different...

Very cool, Monty.

It just proves Mother Nature is still the best artist.

B

BIG61AL

I miss seeing Fire flies [we called them lightning bugs]. I used to see them on warm summer nights in New York by the thousands when I was a kid. Haven't lived in New York for 25 years. Does any body know if they are still in New York. I know there is not a single one here in Colorado.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does any body know if they are still in New York.

Oh yes. We have a field between the neighbor and our house that is brushy. The deer will come out to browse and when they're about done it's dark and the fireflies come out. Nothing like popping a wine cork and watching nothing for hours as the day fades.

Nearest streetlight is about 6 miles away in the valley.

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. I remember them, I used to find their wings on the ground...I had cats ;)

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Actually Double D, it's spelled Cecropia, so you weren't far off. Monty, what state are you in ?? Because this is REALLY early to see a Luna, it's actualy kinda spooky.

For more great bug pictures go check out "whatsthatbug.com" really cool site, with some great photos.

DIRTSWEEPER

Feb 26, 2007
UPSTATE NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, 5" excel, detectorpro phones
Wow thats great, I have never seen one of those my whole 34 years. Thanks a bunch, great find.

HOWLOW

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
gold fish said:
Monty, what state are you in ?? Because this is REALLY early to see a Luna, it's actualy kinda spooky.

He's in Oklahoma. I live in Arkansas and also saw a Luna moth about a week ago. In fact, it was just "unfurling" after eclosion (emerging from the cocoon) when I first saw it, but some hours later its wings were fully expanded and dried, as in the photo that Monty posted. Not long after that I noticed that it had flown away— hopefully under its own power, and not inside some sizable and very satisfied bird.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeric2 said:
they are all over around here in Eastern Maryland. See them all the time when the weather warms up
Yes,I remember catching them in Accokeek when I was a kid.Luna's,Regals, Imperials and so on.Nice pic Monty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread