4 day marathon dig with friends produces a variety of relics from 1600s thru 1800s

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My good friend Evan (metalev) flew out from the west coast for a visit last week with the intent of hunting each of the 5 full days he was to be here. Well, we came close to that by digging on 4 of those days, and spent the one rainy day at the Jamestown museums and antique stores. It was fun spending time with Evan and I think he had a great time as well, especially since he went home with a big pile of early relics and coins. I'm sure he'll be posting those later this week. I also wanted to thank by buds Dan and Joey for getting out with us, and I think a good time was had by all.

The first hunt was last Thurs with Dan, and I already posted my results from that which included that incredible 1729 one reale plus a cut piece. After the rain on Fri, we took a road trip on Sat and hooked up with Joey in a remote rural county, and I was finally able to secure permission to hunt at a site I've been trying to get into for several years. But it turned out to be mostly 1800s stuff with a little colonial thrown in so we moved on to find another, hopefully older site. After striking out at a great looking field overlooking a creek we ended up at one of Joey's old spots where he's found multiple colonial silver. It was hard going in the machine gun iron, and we really had to work for the few items we dug, but each of us came home with a few keepers.

On Sun Evan and I had to wait until almost noon to get out due to the very unseasonably cold and windy weather (mid 20s), and returned to one of my old sites that has still been producing as of late (1630s land patent and adjacent fields). And it did not disappoint as both of us came home with a nice selection of goodies. At this site I eyeballed a few pipe stems, and one was marked "LE" which represents the Bristol pipemaker Llewellyn Evans who was in business in the 1680s.

Over the weekend I finally made contact with the overseer of a huge and potentially loaded property that saw activity from the early 1600s, through colonial times, and into the CW. But unfortunately the site is off limits almost all the time due to other regular activities there, and the only day that was available over the next 2 weeks just happened to be yesterday. So Evan and I were excited to check it out, and our hopes were quickly satisfied as we left the truck and immediately walked right into a huge brick and iron debris field. We hunkered down there for a bit and dug several buttons, and Evan found a piece of cut silver. I also found a trash pit area and recovered a shovel blade at the bottom. It was located below other debris that dated to the early-to-mid 1800s so I guess the shovel dates to that general period. We then moved on to an adjacent spot in the field, and started digging some huge musketballs and a couple of flat buttons. In spite of quickly finding a relic-rich area and hunkering down there, we decided to continue exploring the property in search of the suspected CW camp. But as we rounded the bend to the first alcove we unexpectedly ran into a nice little colonial house site, and dug buttons, buckle pieces, and other period items including a huge 38mm decorated flat button I was able to recover. It's the exact same size as a silver dollar. Again, we decided to leave that productive area to continue the scouting trip. Probably 300-400 yards away we ran into yet another area that started producing a smattering of early colonial relics although we could not find the iron patch. In the adjacent ravine Evan was digging loads of melted lead and small brass when suddenly a half reale appeared. On the nearby plateau I dug a colonial hoe, a cool looking star-shaped leather adornment, and eyeballed 2 pipe stems with huge bores which date to the 1600s. We left that spot after about 45 min and went wandering a bit more before running out of time.

The group shot below shows my keepers from the 4 days of hunting with Evan, and include the ones I posted last Thurs. Guess I could use a short break before catching up on some work around the house, but hopefully I can get out again before the end of the week. And again, I want to thank all my buddies for the fun times we had over the last few days.

Attachments

• 033015a.jpg
    033015a.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 249
  • 033015b.jpg
    033015b.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 183
  • 033015c.jpg
    033015c.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 033015d.jpg
    033015d.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 180
  • 033015e.jpg
    033015e.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 033015f.jpg
    033015f.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 188
  • 033015g.jpg
    033015g.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 033015h.jpg
    033015h.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Upvote 21

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, fantastic haul of relics there. Way to go and great story!

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Great finds and story. Love to see relic saves.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done Bill. Sounds like you guys had a really good time. GL&HH.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some fun digging Bill. I'm glad Evan was able to satisfy his colonial cravings :laughing7:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a great time on Saturday and I'm happy Evan was able able to make some great finds during is trip out east. You racked up on some great finds too and hopefully you'll be able to add to your silver total before the fields are planted.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Great story and even better finds. I can't think of much more I'd rather do than spend 4 days straight hunting for colonial relics with friends. Sounds like you made up for some lost digging time from earlier this season.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Only bad thing - I bet you totally SPOILED that boy. West Coast hunting will be such a BORE after a week like that!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Bill, I really like the large Dandy button with the gold & silver.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 day marathon dig with friends produces a variety of relics from 1600s thru ...

Only bad thing - I bet you totally SPOILED that boy. West Coast hunting will be such a BORE after a week like that!

Evan does pretty good digging Indian Wars era camps and other 19th century trash pits and privies out west but I agree, there's nothing like digging around here! We are so fortunate to have the history and available sites here in Virginia.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Great story and even better finds. I can't think of much more I'd rather do than spend 4 days straight hunting for colonial relics with friends. Sounds like you made up for some lost digging time from earlier this season.

Thanks Ken. I can't tell ya how good it felt to be back in the groove swinging in the fields. It was a long, tough winter for me, and at least I'm getting in a few late season hunts. Hopefully there's a few more left.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Bill! Thanks for sharing

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just a great array of finds!, I know when I see one of your posts, were in for a real treat!

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that is Colonial fun all day, Bill. It is good to see Evan back at it. I love that Dandy button.

Kirk

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the looks of those finds, I think I would have hunkered down in any one of those spots! Very nice finds, Bill.

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice pile of early relics glad you guys had a good time. Reid

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Had an awesome time Bill, really appreciated the hard work you put in to land us on some nice early sites. You made some killer finds. I think that 1729 Reale was the find of the marathon for sure. That CW shovel pit deserves some more exploration as well and I will keep hoping that next time that huge button pops up it is a GW innaugural. Good luck tomorrow.
-Evan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread