Carved on large cent. In more than one way

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The quality of my finds has surpassed my diligence and skill in preserving my finds. I have a new etrac and my shortfalls in pinpointing caused a nice scratch on this purty LC. It's definitely inevitable to a degree but I have to get better. Didn't notice the hand decorations until I gave it a HP bath. Any one else have some "hobo art" coins to post? Earlier today also found a barber dime and missed seated by a year. I've noticed that barbers and seateds ring up slightly lower than mercs
1427933575528.jpg
1427933589961.jpg

Upvote 6

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. Discovery marks are a undesirable part of detecting. It happens to all of us sooner or later. Nice coins.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
I scraped the rim of a nice 1833 capped bust dime thanks to an off-center pin point. Looking back, it may have pinpointed a nail in the vicinity which caused the problem.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happens to all of us. I gotta tell you though that I dig a much deeper hole than necessary and wider too. If I was to hit a chain cent or a NE Shilling I would be pretty damn devestated. You just never know what's waiting for you under dirt. Could be your holy Grail. That's a very interesting LC. I like it. Even with your personal signature lol

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice find! Do not feel to bad about the scrape, we have all had our little mishaps. Ahab8 has a good point about hole size and depth.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happens to all of us. I gotta tell you though that I dig a much deeper hole than necessary and wider too. If I was to hit a chain cent or a NE Shilling I would be pretty damn devestated. You just never know what's waiting for you under dirt. Could be your holy Grail. That's a very interesting LC. I like it. Even with your personal signature lol

LOL I have to agree, buddy. Marking up a decent find would ruin my month. This is why I dig a flap the size of a dinner plate if I can get away with it.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL I have to agree, buddy. Marking up a decent find would ruin my month. This is why I dig a flap the size of a dinner plate if I can get away with it.

I've learned that another advantage to a cutting a big flap is that the lawn recovers better. I dig epic flaps!

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice dime. I can see the color difference between yours and mine. Different kind of soil. I only have a couple left. Someone needed them more than I did,I guess.

OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've learned that another advantage to a cutting a big flap is that the lawn recovers better. I dig epic flaps!

Yeah another thing I've found with that is sometimes the wider you go, the shallower your hole is when the plug pops back. Then your digging more to get deeper and upping the probability that you'd hit something. I don't know, maybe my technique just sucks.

OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice dime. I can see the color difference between yours and mine. Different kind of soil. I only have a couple left. Someone needed them more than I did,I guess.

Is yours darker or lighter. My seateds and barbers have a higher tendency to be dark

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah can you imagine digging a disme or something and just drilling it with your digger? I think about these things often. Like at the end of a long day in the dirt when I'm super tired and don't want to put as much effort in as I should. These are the thoughts that force me to focus and do it right.... Or go home and drink a Corona....with lime....and guacamole with chips! Yum I think I'm going to my favorite Mexican joint tonight. El Caminos 8-)

OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah can you imagine digging a disme or something and just drilling it with your digger? I think about these things often. Like at the end of a long day in the dirt when I'm super tired and don't want to put as much effort in as I should. These are the thoughts that force me to focus and do it right.... Or go home and drink a Corona....with lime....and guacamole with chips! Yum I think I'm going to my favorite Mexican joint tonight. El Caminos 8-)

Tired was definitely the perp here. It was my last hole. I'm drinking a Corona right now....weird

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a nice fat silver signal in Los Alamos ,New Mexico maybe 7 years ago in front of some WWII vintage barracks that were converted into
an apt. complex. It was starting to rain pretty good , and I got impatient and scratched up the obverse of a 1939-S Walking Liberty half.
It happens ! ( hopefully early rather than later in our detecting journey )

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a nice fat silver signal in Los Alamos ,New Mexico maybe 7 years ago in front of some WWII vintage barracks that were converted into
an apt. complex. It was starting to rain pretty good , and I got impatient and scratched up the obverse of a 1939-S Walking Liberty half.
It happens ! ( hopefully early rather than later in our detecting journey )

As long as we learn from all of these little screw ups and hopefully never have it happen to a rare or valuable one its just another story in the detecting journey. I'm getting out for the first time tomorrow if it doesn't rain

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple of nice coins. Don't worry about the scrape. I'm sure we have all done it at least once.

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've left my mark on a few.
I have to say, mostly at end of hunt and tired.
my oldest coin from the 1800's carries a scar caused by me.
Ever since then I take my time pinpointting and dig bigger plugs.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those marks on the LC are really cool. Personalized relics and coins are my favorite.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions