Possible Civil War sword scabbard top!?

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
Well I think I hooked another little treasure hunter last night. Took my step daughter Mo along for a small one hour hunt in a nearby wood lot that in the past produced a civil war breastplate, far from where one should have been. Well, lightning may have struck again. Still need to do some research to confirm but we believe this to be a sword holder from the same era!!!! Along with some other junk and trinkets. This site is about 8 miles from Fort Halifax but other than that has no reason to have held these items that we know of....the breastplate was found three years ago by happenstance as I walked a wooded path to go visit my neighbor, swinging my detector as I walked. Turned out to be a great idea to do so. Breastplate was badly annihilated but a breastplate nonetheless. New finds and old plate below.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428497793.797924.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428497807.127908.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428497819.462268.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428497831.262287.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428497842.862026.jpg

Upvote 8

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find! The pic of Mo smiling is priceless! I hope you have jump started the career of another of us.

OP
OP
djm of PA

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
Awesome find! The pic of Mo smiling is priceless! I hope you have jump started the career of another of us.

Thanks, yeah she was pretty excited. My wife tolerates this hobby but isn't at all interested. Last night, this hunt was all Mo talked about for an hour.........my wife was not amused :laughing7:

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you should be visiting your friend more often. Just tell your wife you're just being neighborly. Ya got a new hunting buddy. Wait til she goes to school I bet she tells her friends all about this cool find.

OP
OP
djm of PA

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
I think you should be visiting your friend more often. Just tell your wife you're just being neighborly. Ya got a new hunting buddy. Wait til she goes to school I bet she tells her friends all about this cool find.
For sure, this site will now be gridded and will command a few hours per week this summer and seeing as how it is 200yds from my house, that won't be an issue.
Her teacher already called me (I am tech support for her school) and said it is all she has been talking about BUT when asked where this stuff was found, her answer was "I am not allowed to tell". That a girl!!!!

OP
OP
djm of PA

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
someone just messaged me suggesting the one piece might be a trigger guard from a flintlock rifle????? I overlooked that possibility until now!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds as Usual !

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
someone just messaged me suggesting the one piece might be a trigger guard from a flintlock rifle????? I overlooked that possibility until now!

Be it flint or percussion it is definitely a trigger guard.With patience you may be able to figure out what school,(style) of building it is from and by that guess an age.
So far it hints of Pa., though various schools during evolution of rifle making there following moving beyond German Jaeger styles. Too rifles traveled.
Sometimes a builder modified one end or both on a trigger guard with a distinctive flair or shape of his own design. Some rough examples of different schools might be Bedford, Lehigh Valley ,and others often associated with a specific region. Some known by makers,or original design of one.
Great hunt and better yet with a youth involved.
Tangible history.

Last edited:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! That scabbard top would look awesome hanging on my scabbard hook!!! LOL

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like there was some equipment discarded. Wish you luck to get it all!

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Congrats on the scabbard throat and trigger guard. Looks like the spot has potential.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread