Victorian pasture field coin shooting

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Tried a large pasture field late this afternoon close to where I live. I knew it had not been ploughed in living memory. Therefore not expecting to find anything really old. Was though surprised by the amount of late Victorian coins that came up. Find of the session, had to be the silver watch. Had to laugh not longer after I found the little scottie dog. A scottie that someone was walking came running up to me. A cautionary tale though, about an hour into the search. A lady appeared at the edge of the field, wanting to know what I was doing on private property. Having got permission from a guy driving a tractor (had to be the farmer/owner) I was about to tell the local busy body where to go. Good job I didn't, turned out she was the owner. When I found this out, of course I was charm personified (still got it):laughing7:. Any way I'm ok to search the field for a while yet.

Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_6325.JPG
    IMG_6325.JPG
    1,021.3 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_6327.JPG
    IMG_6327.JPG
    799.1 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 9

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things like this happens when just asking a man on a tractor. Had the same here twice. Good job on the silver but like the dog more. How was crete?

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Things like this happens when just asking a man on a tractor. Had the same here twice. Good job on the silver but like the dog more. How was crete?
Terrible Westfront, full of Germans:laughing7:. No it was very nice, and not too hot yet.:thumbsup:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terrible Westfront, full of Germans:laughing7:. No it was very nice, and not too hot yet.:thumbsup:

:laughing9: No Germans...it's too early in the year for parachute jumping!

Good to see you safely home and out in the field! :occasion14:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice coins,congrats on the silver watch.Two scottie's in one day might be a good omen?Good thing you held your tongue,that might have been the end of that one.:censored:-You, you old bat!-oops:laughing7:

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
nice coins,congrats on the silver watch.Two scottie's in one day might be a good omen?Good thing you held your tongue,that might have been the end of that one.:censored:-You, you old bat!-oops:laughing7:
Yep makes a change for me, not to put my foot in it.:laughing7:

d3t3ctr0n

Apr 17, 2013
Texas U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've learned one thing in metal detecting, never assume that an area will be a bust because 9 times out of 10 you will be surprised and that is why I love this hobby so much...surprise!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice finds Rob. Over here in the former colonies, we would consider a hand full of Victorian age coins to be a grand slam! Congrats on the silver watch and coins! GL&HH.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, we had some early experiences like that. When gaining permission we now stress the point of talking to the land-owner because there are some that rent & have even said it was their land when it wasn't!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions