my best Connecticut copper, variety type?

mattysee

Jul 9, 2011
albany ny
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    553.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    557.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    352.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    333.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    346 KB · Views: 156
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    556.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    519.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    523.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    418.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    544.7 KB · Views: 162
Upvote 16

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a killer Ct bud! Don will nail it down for ya

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE HUNT !!:thumbsup:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice details showing, however, after looking thru my book and C4 auction catalogs, I have yet to ID the variety. It is a Miller 33Z series one, which there are so many to look at and differences are rather small on many of them. Hopefully I or someone else will nail it down, but now I have temporarily given up (yard work to do) :) Don

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah IP, I looked for one with a crack to no avail. Wish I had a better photo ID book on CT's! Eyestrain using the Whitman book.... Got close several times, but then I would not find a match for the Obverse side to help confirm... Not too many with the 1787 date like this one is, thought for sure it would have been easy to ID, maybe later I will get another chance to look at it. The Pole points to the 1, that is another good indicator, besides the arm point to the E where it does. Don

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah IP, I looked for one with a crack to no avail. Wish I had a better photo ID book on CT's! Eyestrain using the Whitman book.... Got close several times, but then I would not find a match for the Obverse side to help confirm... Not too many with the 1787 date like this one is, thought for sure it would have been easy to ID, maybe later I will get another chance to look at it. The Pole points to the 1, that is another good indicator, besides the arm point to the E where it does. Don

I didn't look long, but it seems like on the obverse the placement of the two pellets and star after Auctori would also be another good feature to include or exclude when ID'ing.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to give a shout out to guys like Don and IP, many folks don't realize what goes into it when they ID a coin for people. It isn't just a quick look in a reference book, there are over 140 varieties of 1787 Connecticut coppers alone, over 350 varieties of all years. Many of these can be identified only by the slightest difference in punctuation or the placement of a letter or two, or some of the tiniest details. It takes a lot of time, good eyesight and skill to sort some of them out, especially on a dug or lower grade coin where details are obscured. I'll try to look into it when I get a chance as well.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to give a shout out to guys like Don and IP, many folks don't realize what goes into it when they ID a coin for people. It isn't just a quick look in a reference book, there are over 140 varieties of 1787 Connecticut coppers alone, over 350 varieties of all years. Many of these can be identified only by the slightest difference in punctuation or the placement of a letter or two, or some of the tiniest details. It takes a lot of time, good eyesight and skill to sort some of them out, especially on a dug or lower grade coin where details are obscured. I'll try to look into it when I get a chance as well.

A few years back I was talking to someone who I would consider an expert on these, and after doing it for so many years he had a lot of little hints stored in his brain that allows him to look at almost any CT and get to the right section fast, and then just pick among a few which it is. He then asked me how I ID them, and my answer was.... similar to the old days of finger print analysis. :) He said yes that works too, but like you said it can take a lot of time, and when there`s so many rare varieties, and no good online reference material showing them all, it can be tough at times. The good news is there`s plenty enough detail on this one to ID, and the more difficult it is, can also be an indication of rarity, or at least we can hope so.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I THINK it might be this one. 1787 Connecticut Copper - Miller 33.34-W.2 I think the giveaway and final decision I made is based on the letter E with the sloping down lower part.. I would like a 2nd opinion on it being the 33.34-W.2. Rarity 5+ (recent auction catalog rating). Don

Attachments

• w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
OP
OP
mattysee

mattysee

Jul 9, 2011
albany ny
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you so much for the time spent and your i.d. do you think this coin should get graded?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I THINK it might be this one. 1787 Connecticut Copper - Miller 33.34-W.2 I think the giveaway and final decision I made is based on the letter E with the sloping down lower part.. I would like a 2nd opinion on it being the 33.34-W.2. Rarity 5+ (recent auction catalog rating). Don

I think you probably have it. It's the only use of each die and that in itself is pretty good evidence you are right, because each side looks like a match. The only thing I can add, which isn't much, is the dug coin, one you posted from the book, and the one listed on coinfacts, are all have a weakly struck "Connec" even through the latter two are clearly an earlier die state having stronger detail and no cracking.... but yet still weak for those letters.

Attachments

• 1787_ct_copper_miller_33.34_W.02_obv.jpg
    1787_ct_copper_miller_33.34_W.02_obv.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 115

dutchtoga

Jun 28, 2012
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2se
Garret ATpro
Garret ATgold
Xp Deus
Nox 800
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice one. Try to keep the hot sauce off it. BANNER!!

OP
OP
mattysee

mattysee

Jul 9, 2011
albany ny
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so i didnt really get an answer about the mark or die crack below the b on the reverse, what exactly is it and does it add value or hurt it? also as far as a rarity 5+ is it worth getting slabbed?

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I was pretty sure on the obverse, but hadn't gotten to the reverse yet. That is a die break on the reverse, doesn't do anything one way or the other for the value, just a later die state. In my opinion, there is no reason to get it graded, all you will get is genuine, details grade and corroded. It is a great coin, but rarity 5 Connecticuts aren't terribly valuable except in better condition.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread