Indian HEAD!

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ye ha! Just went back though all my coin find so far and found a badly corroded up penny sized coin in my jar of coins. So I took it to the kitchen and took a wet tooth brush to clean some of it off, I thought to myself "it may be a wheatie" well I finally got some of it off and I seen the leaves and shield and the ONE CENT on the reverse, I scrubbed the front a little and I can't make out a date yet :( You can barely make out the headress but it's a IH just the same :). I cant remember where I found it but I belive I found it at an old homeplace that used to be part of the underground railroad, that seems like the most likely place. anyways I'm gonna go and see if I can make a date out on it.
laters
Scav.

Upvote 0

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Nice to find,better late then never. Think I might go back to the site I found it for more.HH

OP
OP
S

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thing is i'm not sure what site I found it at. there are a few that come to mind.

OP
OP
S

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
managed to decipher part of the date: 18-0

AU79

Apr 24, 2004
I have a whole cup of cruddy coins, I found last summer maybe I should do the same and see what i find. Anyone have any other ideas for cleaning, I hear olive oil is good.

Daniel in Ak

Feb 23, 2005
Alaska
well scavenget that could be 1860,70,80 or 1890.you've narrowed it down some.Man if it was the 1860 that would have put you so close to the flying eagle cent man!

Daniel in Ak

Feb 23, 2005
Alaska
au...if the crud is just dirt you can use a tooth pick which wont hurt your coin unless its silver.Or just use your typical needle and lightly poke the crude,this will make that crud pop off.Just dont puch to hard where the needle leave marks.try this on some wheaties.It works great.The olive oil will preserve the patina more so than cleaning the coin.

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Congratulations Scavenger. That must have been a great feeling when you realized what you had. My oldest at this point is only a 1923 Merc. But I'm still looking~CO2

BRD

Mar 26, 2004
Good find Scavenger,
Use a five power magnifying glass and the date may be readable.
Congratulations,
BRD

OP
OP
S

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I stood in a chair under the cieling fan light with my magnifier and I got it turned just right and I belive it is an 1880. I started jumping up and down when that crud flaked off and I seen that shield I knew what It was right off. I have another IHC but it is in MUCH better condition I found it in a leather pouch of coins stashed away in the wall of a garage. There was a few silver coins (no buffaloes standing liberties and no merc or anything) but not being into coins and such and not knowing any better I spent them.kept the IHC cuz I knew it was old, I mean dang 1907 its gotsta be old :).
Laters
Scav.

J

Jim Cal

Indian Head! Cool find...since you can't remember where you found it you'll just have to go back and hunt them all again. Seriously, it does pay to document the sites where you find things. That way you can go back to the really good spots and give them a more concentrated effort. I've done exactly the same thing before and agonized over where an item was found. That's why I now keep a record. Let us know when you get that date! Jim Cal

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find man! My oldest to date was a 1951 D wheatie, but I've only been at it since November, and haven't hunted at all since late Dec due to the weather here! Good luck cleaning it up, I hope it comes out nice for you! HH!!

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Good work. It pays to inspect your finds as soon as you can after a trip. I keep all of mine seperated in a zip loc bag with date & location. Helps sometimes. Keep it up. Spotz

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
did the same thing once.knorrski wanted me to check out a penny that was corroded fairly well and i was able to clean it a little and we both were surprised to see it was a IH! have done that occassionally with wheats also.CHECK EM CLOSE!!

bigrig

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job, Scavenger 8) For the hell of it i would go back over all the sites just to see what pops up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread