On the way to the farm field and once I got there.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I walk thru the park to get to the field swinging my coil as I go..screeching high tone,I could tell it
was a long target,21 dimes stacked laying flat,to bad they weren't silver.:BangHead:

Did the field(again)and ended up with a 1893 IH plus a cool pin,I believe it's Naval with the Anchors,
Gold and Silver gilt.

Well..tomorrow I'm hitting the park across the river EARLY,there's got to be more Gold there..8 since 12/5/14.

GOD Bless

Chris

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    978.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    379.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    457.1 KB · Views: 133
Upvote 12

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some awesome color to that badge! Will look great in a display case.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
USN Commissioned Officer Hat badge/device (vintage, possibly pre ww2)

I figured it was rank related,here's a pic after a light spray of lacquer.

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    438.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    361 KB · Views: 96

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
WT,

Thanks for the follow up pics with after the shot of lacquer. I say pre 1941 because the eagle is facing left (to the wearer's left). The eagle facing left was derived from the Napoleonic eagle and it was normally depicted facing left, why left is apparently unknown. However, by 1941 the Navy changed the regs to confirm with heraldic rules which has the eagle facing right (toward the wearer's sword arm). This rule change continues to be in effect today. Do you mind checking for a maker's mark on the reverse side (the mark could be in several places but check the bottom part of the anchors or in the middle of the shield. May be worn away but I think there may be something in there.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WT, I sure like that badge...13 stars, shield...it has it all. Those dimes could just as easily have been silver too!

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WT,

Thanks for the follow up pics with after the shot of lacquer. I say pre 1941 because the eagle is facing left (to the wearer's left). The eagle facing left was derived from the Napoleonic eagle and it was normally depicted facing left, why left is apparently unknown. However, by 1941 the Navy changed the regs to confirm with heraldic rules which has the eagle facing right (toward the wearer's sword arm). This rule change continues to be in effect today. Do you mind checking for a maker's mark on the reverse side (the mark could be in several places but check the bottom part of the anchors or in the middle of the shield. May be worn away but I think there may be something in there.
I agree with you, it is very likely pre-WW II. Does it happen to have a small stamp on the back of either an M of 2H's?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread