Its taken five years but its a beauty!!!!!

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's taken five years but its a beauty!!!!!

Lately I have been hunting an old farmstead that dates back to the 1750s in a really old part of ct. My e-trac has been acting funny lately so I decided to try my luck with my ace 350. which I'm not a fan of at all. I wasn't having any luck with the field so I decided to move into the apple orchard. After four hours of digging up can after can and every shot gun shell in the tri state area. I come across some nice roundness in the hole. After I wiped off the dirt I almost had to pinch my self it was my first ct copper and she was beautiful. The year is 1787. I'm curious though any one know the variety? Thanks for looking. - Justin ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429389788.681256.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429389803.179823.jpg

Upvote 75

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Justin - the coin you found was definitely worth the wait. It is beautiful...Brad

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beauty bud. My Ct sucks lol. I will look in my book and see if I can nail down the variety but Don is much better at it than I. Or much faster I should say

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad your first CT copper is in good condition! I spent a bit of time, tough one (most 1787's are) I have not double checked my work, leaving for a bit, but my initial somewhat intelligent quick guess is 1787 Miller 33.29-Z.7. I have not verified it myself, but will later if no one else chimes in on an variety ID. 1787 Connecticut Copper - Miller 33.29-Z.7

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad your first CT copper is in good condition! I spent a bit of time, tough one (most 1787's are) I have not double checked my work, leaving for a bit, but my initial somewhat intelligent quick guess is 1787 Miller 33.29-Z.7. I have not verified it myself, but will later if no one else chimes in on an variety ID. 1787 Connecticut Copper - Miller 33.29-Z.7

Oh wow that has it marked as very rare if that is it. Thank you what book do you use for reference.

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you are a fan of the Ace 350 now. Yes, the ETrac is a better machine (better be for over a thousand dollars more); but that it an amazing find. Congrats.

aj

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is definitely a beauty! Lucky for you it was lost in an orchard away from all the fertilizer of the fields.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic digs!!!

Perfect example as to why every treasure hunter needs at least 2 machines!

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you are a fan of the Ace 350 now. Yes, the ETrac is a better machine (better be for over a thousand dollars more); but that it an amazing find. Congrats.

aj

I am a fan now of the ace it's a solid machine you just have to dig every target with it. Which can get frustrating. And the ace is better at finding gold then the etrac.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is in fact that variety my Whitman book lists it as 33-64 known. I hope that's the correct id. If so you've got a hell of a find there my friend. I'm gonna look myself and try to confirm. Awesome!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure looks like it to me. The reverse leaves little doubt as there's a big space between the 1 and 7 in the date and the 1 sits a bit higher. I really hope somebody else can look and confirm as well. I hold off on my Banner vote til we know for sure.

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is in fact that variety my Whitman book lists it as 33-64 known. I hope that's the correct id. If so you've got a hell of a find there my friend. I'm gonna look myself and try to confirm. Awesome!

Holy smokes 33-64 known? That's amazing. Ill keep my fingers crossed this was well worth the wait.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes 33-64 known? That's amazing. Ill keep my fingers crossed this was well worth the wait.

The best part is the great condition! It's so hard to get the triple crown in this hobby....rare, valuable and in nice condition. You may well have just checked all 3 my friend

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the Whitman book, but then usually look at C4 auction catalogs from years past, they have much better photographs, especially size wise than the Whitman book. Then I also look at the one on the coinfacts.com site which is the link I posted. That is a 3 way check, which usually helps me confirm or reject what I think it is. But dang, those CT coppers are hard sometimes, especially the ground found ones. :) Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread