BABE RUTH FIND

bibitte2

Feb 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hy Guys, Girlz,

I got called by a man to empty is basemant, he had a lot of collectibles and no use for them. The deal was to take all of the boxes and not pick and choose. So i did, empty everything and glad i did.

One small box was very heavy, When i opened it up, it was full of printing plates (If you can call that box break...lol). When i got home, i opened it & found that most of them are very old and Hockey/Baseball and other sports related....

I scaned a few i found this cool printing plate of the Bambino with Jimmy Fox, Hank Greenberg, Ralph Kiner, Hack Wilson.

The other two i scaned are Roy Campanella and a player from the Montreal Royal i can't yet identify....

Total, i must have at least 50-60 sports printing plates and another 50 to double check....but i saw boxing also...

Lmk what you think...

Last edited:
Upvote 9

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you have a very interesting clean out there. I can't wait to see what it could be and the value. Congrats!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll tell you right up front that I know nothing about printing plates , but it's hard to imagine there wouldn't be some value there with those
legends ! give us an update when you find out more !

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything original with Ruth on it is very valuable. Interested to see what you find out. Do you have anybody locally you can have check them out?

OP
OP
B

bibitte2

Feb 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the heads up gang....

Nobody here near Montreal can be of any help for this one......I guess i should talk to a Babe Ruth expert or collector to have an idea of the value of this plate.

A lot of the plates remains to be identified but from what i see they are from the 50's and before. I see 3, maybe 4 from the Montreal Royals, some from the Yanks and Boston, chicago...

1 for sure is Roy Campanella holding bat in Dodgers uniform...

3 Olympic skaters

And some Montreal Canadiens and other NHL teams.....i think i see Bobby Hull on one, if that's the case, it would be is 1958 rookie year meaning one of the first Hull picture around, that would be awesome...

Ill keep you guys up to date as i find infos....

Thanks for the help guys...

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try the Babe RuthMuseumin Baltimore.

very cool find

OP
OP
B

bibitte2

Feb 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another Yankees printing plate....But dont have the players yet....

OP
OP
B

bibitte2

Feb 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the last found printing plate from the lot...

This one is a Mantle/Mize/Reynolds and i found the original picture that come's from the Boston Globe Archives.....this photo was taken after the 1952 World series in the clubhouse....This picture was sold at auction...
Lot Detail - 1952 Mickey Mantle Johnny Mize Allie Reynolds New York Yankees "Boston Herald Archives" Original 6.5" x 9" Photo (Boston Herald Hologram/MEARS LOA)

Tell them you want your commission, if you own the plates you must own the photo rites. Also I would contact yankees stadium at 646-977-8400 and ask to speak to their museum curator . I am really interested to see where this leads. The phone number I have listed is for the events coordinator, inside the museum, so you will need a different extension or number but should get you in contact with someone that can help...

QuebecGirl

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2015
Quebec, Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there! There is no such thing as Montréal Royals. We had the Expos and we have the Mount Royal (a hill!). I cant see the picture of an Expos player. Would be glad to help!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there! There is no such thing as Montréal Royals.

There was a Montreal Royals AAA minor league team in the 1940's because Jackie Robinson played for them before playing for the Dodgers.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Even if the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum are not interested in the Printing Plates, there is always the possibility that Heritage Auctions might be interested and as a last resort, there is always eBay. There are a lot of Auctions on eBay for Printing Plates having to do with Baseball and other Sports. I am unsure if these are the same as to what you found but I have included a link below to the Auctions just for "Sold" items having to do with Babe Ruth for you to check out. Please keep us apprised of what you find out!

printing plate babe ruth | eBay

Frank

OP
OP
B

bibitte2

Feb 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the printing plate of Roy Campanella....

OP
OP
B

bibitte2

Feb 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And here's the first Montreal Royals picture.....

Catcher....

MassEMT

Greenie
Nov 21, 2014
Beverly, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You previously mentioned that you had some hockey plates? Any pics of those yet?

Whites Quantum II with a Quantum 7.8 coil

Beverly, MA

OP
OP
B

bibitte2

Feb 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep.....here's the Boum Boum Geoffrion with Marlene Monrenz, doughter of famous Howie Morenz...

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tell them you want your commission, if you own the plates you must own the photo rites. Also I would contact yankees stadium at 646-977-8400 and ask to speak to their museum curator . I am really interested to see where this leads. The phone number I have listed is for the events coordinator, inside the museum, so you will need a different extension or number but should get you in contact with someone that can help...

I could be completely wrong on this but I don't think owning printing plates is the same as owning the negative.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread