1786 Half Real, Shoe Buckle, Buttons, Round Balls

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a few hours this morning to sneak out before I had to come home and clean up the yard. Things started extremely slow and I was just having one of those days where you can't seem to get a nice solid signal. You know one of those days when you start thinking your machine is having issues. Well sometimes you're just not getting over a good target. I was about to leave with my tail between my legs when I got a nice low 80s hit and pulled out a shoe buckle. The guts were in the hole but it wasn't attached....I'll take it 8-). This style is a bit different than others I've found. That find got me re energized a bit and I hit a button soon after then another. One looks like silver. It may be plated and I don't have the coast slime disease completely cleaned off yet but we shall see. I started heading away from the river and got a nice solid 80 hit about 5" down. Pretty shallow for this dirt and I was shocked to see a small Spanish silver coin peeking out. It turned out to be a Carolus III 1/2 Real. I will NEVER get tired of seeing these come out of the dirt. I just love the designs on these coins. A couple of roundballs are from last weekend and one of the buttons has a backmark that is new to me. It says WILL M CLEAVER LONDON. Hopefully somebody knows something about it. I also discovered a large iron patch today and in a couple holes found some dish ware frags. Might have to dig and sift this spot. Anyway I hope everyone is getting some sun and I'm hoping to get to some of the exciting new spots I've got lined up soon. Be well Tnetters
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
This is a new buckle style for me as well. What was this used for?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 33

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahab, great finds, I believe the other buckle is a Rev War cartridge box buckle, fantastic find! I'll look real quick & post a pic

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friggin killer...
You are on a serious site...

Get back a.s.a.p.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's on from Fort Stanwix, letter M

Attachments

• image-184270779.jpg
    image-184270779.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 160

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a photo from the Neumann book that Identifies it as a military shoulder strap buckle. That find beats the coin in my book

Attachments

• image-3635360532.jpg
    image-3635360532.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 126
  • image-123262614.jpg
    image-123262614.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 128

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Abe
love those shoe buckles,along with Spanish Silver,colonial buttons.
Who says we don`t have time machines !
After all the people who lost those items ,would have Hung/Dunked you for being a Witch,with that evil machine.
Gary

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a photo from the Neumann book that Identifies it as a military shoulder strap buckle. That find beats the coin in my book

Wow thanks so much buddy. I had no idea. Is this likely Rev War or impossible to say?

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow what a killer hunt Abe!! Man you have some crazy wicked sites. Keep em.coming!!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed... buckles blow coin away in my book as well.

Although tis a sweet coin :)

Last edited:

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man! Nice finds! I have been MD for little over 2 years and still haven't found a reale! Not yet! But still in it, lets see what happens! Cool finds!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Way to burst onto the 2015 scene, I guess there's no stopping you now!

I feel Mangum is totally on the right track, that little sling buckle is definitely RevWar era and could very well be from a bullet pouch or something along those lines.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great day abe!, of course the silver is fantastic but damn, those buckles steal the show in my opinion

Nice work brother!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to burst onto the 2015 scene, I guess there's no stopping you now!

I feel Mangum is totally on the right track, that little sling buckle is definitely RevWar era and could very well be from a bullet pouch or something along those lines.

That buckle came from a huge iron patch next to a very old stone bridge that crosses a creek. No homes ever in this area. I also found the 1772 half real/Cufflink at this spot in January. Is there any possibility that this was a small camp? Could the half real link/button be from a soldier potentially?

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You wouldn't tell me over the phone and made me wait for your post for a lousy 1/2 real?! Sheez man.

Well, as I say: that's one more silver real than I got.

Congrats on a solid score and you seem right on that hot trail again.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
That buckle came from a huge iron patch next to a very old stone bridge that crosses a creek. No homes ever in this area. I also found the 1772 half real/Cufflink at this spot in January. Is there any possibility that this was a small camp? Could the half real link/button be from a soldier potentially?

I guess anything is possible, most likely a small cabin occupied for a short time, perhaps while a larger more permanent house was being constructed elsewhere on the property and there would be some losses from the period of time around the post war era. Either way, you got a spot worthy if another hunt or two.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anytime you post in Today's Finds...I am never disappointed. As always, congrats on your great finds!:notworthy:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ahab you haven't found the white whale yet ,but you are getting closer. Always like seeing the different shoe buckles from back then ,nice finds though.vanzutphen

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thanks so much buddy. I had no idea. Is this likely Rev War or impossible to say?
I'd think so, Neumann IDs them as military buckles. If it's in his book that's good enough for me.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread