Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

This is a followup to my post last week after reworking a section of SC coastline that yielded a variety of finds dating from the 1700s up though 1903. While the finds were far scarcer, I did manage to recover a heavy pewter buckle, large 1 piece pewter button, copper buckle, and an 18th Century silver cuff link. Still amazed that the safari was able to pick it out such a small piece of silver given the highly mineralized salt marsh. I suspect the link used to be octagonal, but has worn down over the last 200 years. Also recovered a roached nickle/wheatie, colonial fishing weights, round ball, and an M W & Co padlock cover. Thanks for looking!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg back.jpg front.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 14

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE assortment!!vanzutphen

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is such a killer find man. I love those old silver links. My buddy just found a gorgeous monogrammed set

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ahab, looks great in the display next to the gold merchant captain's link I recovered earlier this year.

You have really made some incredible finds man! Great job getting the goods out of those early sites

vetusausn

Apr 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone identify this it is really heavy for its size measures 4 inches high 3 inches at widest point any help is appreciated. Vetusausn uploadfromtaptalk1429634250825.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1429634289727.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1429634333123.jpg

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs . Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures with us

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice find. You have gotten some really nice finds out of that spot. Congrats.

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Info on the red colored pottery item:

The diamond stamp was issued by the British Patent office along with a registration number when the design type was registered between 1842-1883. The rest of the numbers would tell the type of material used to make the item (in this case the roman numeral next to it), the amount manufactured (bundled), as well as the month, day and year of manufacturer. The "RD" in the middle is for "Registered Design" and was meant to give both the maker a degree of confidence their item was not going to be copied.

If we decipher yours we see an "IV" at the top which tells us the item was made from Clay/ceramics. FYI, III would be glass.

On the right side of the diamond, though hard to tell, appears to be a two digit number which is the day of the month of manufacture (see if you can make it out).

On the left side of the diamond is an "R" which translates to the month of August.

On the top of the diamond we have the letter L which translates to the year 1856

Bottom of the diamond is the number 5 which just indicates the number of bundles included with that particular registration and does not matter for dating purposes.

So we have a piece of clay pottery registered in August __ of 1856.

If by chance the number on the right side of the diamond turns out to be a letter then we have a second date range to use (1868-1883) and it has a similar method of dating but the numbers and letters mean different things.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions