717fly

Nov 20, 2013
Middle Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1350 and newly added AT Pro on April 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All! Finally first day with no rain and I went downtown to the old park. Loads of clad and what-not, then this popped out from about 6" down.

I think (and feel free to enlighten me here), this is from the 118th Pennsylvania Volunteers "The Corn Exchange Regiment". Maybe a hat badge or something. Help Help!

It reads as follows:

A.S.L. Ent
Co D
118th Regt P.V.

J.N.K (small letters at the bottom)

DSC00428.JPG DSC00429.JPG DSC00431.JPG

I also forgot to post about 3 weeks back that I found a NC Sunburst button with a hole in it. I thought it was a token at first, since there was no back. But a friend helped me out and ta-da! Still a sweet find.
DSC00318.JPG

Upvote 48

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so fantastic. Great to see a fellow middle Georgian make banner and gives hope and encouragement to the rest of us in these parts. Who would've thought something like that would turn up down this way? What metal is it made of?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done it is amazing when you bring history to life. Most times it is a rare or cool item but to be able to tie it all together is "priceless". My GG Grandfather mustered out of Penn I need to see what regiment he was in. I have his GAR reunion photo and buttons from his jacket.
Congrats!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on your find 717fly and on making the BANNER! :occasion14:

Of course, I consider any relic with writing on it a great 'personal' find for the detectorist! :thumbsup:

Dave

OP
OP
717fly

717fly

Nov 20, 2013
Middle Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1350 and newly added AT Pro on April 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! So I see the banner is offical! I'm elated and feel privileged that you all have voted for my find. Thanks to all :occasion14:

On a side note...I'm in New York this morning and it's just plain COLD with the wind here. How could one get out and detect around here without freezing ur u-know what off??? Gotta get back home - brrrr

krymesolvr93

Oct 27, 2013
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Such beautiful condition that badge. It definitely is worth the banner it received.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
just wow ..a known personal item from a CW person..

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that badge is a superb find congrats !!! That is why we all get out and hunt theres always a chance for a surprise finding that is "Great! " not just good :occasion14:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! So I see the banner is offical! I'm elated and feel privileged that you all have voted for my find. Thanks to all :occasion14:

On a side note...I'm in New York this morning and it's just plain COLD with the wind here. How could one get out and detect around here without freezing ur u-know what off??? Gotta get back home - brrrr

LOL
Just think of Jan, in Macon Right after a Cold Front moves through. + your in unfamiliar territory.
Us in GA already getting used to the warm weather .

Congratz
On the Banner Find ,Would have voted banner on Tuesday but missed the post.
Like Sandchip said it's cool to see such a Historical Piece Come out of Ga.

"Flying the friendly Skies " = Did you take the Pic of the Grave Site Yourself? if so cool. ' He has a nice monument .'
Just goes to show 'You never know what will pop up' esp in a Hard Hunted Park..(most likely) That find was waiting for You.
Love the NC button as well been looking for one of those for years.
Good Day
Davers

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats from 'just below you Georgia' on an outstanding killer find!!:thumbsup:

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I found this about a big reunion in Macon, Georgia, for United States Confederate Veterans:

First Encampment, U.S.C.V., Macon, Georgia May 6-9, 1912

It apparently was the only U.S.C.V. reunion ever held outside of Atlanta, in Georgia. Obviously, there were no G.A.R. reunions in Macon, but at this time in history, the old soldiers were just happy to be alive and probably went to any reunions around!

That would be my guess as to why the badge ended up there. Realizing that Algernon had been dead for twenty years in 1912, and any of his children (most likely born in the late 1860's-1870's) would be in their 40's to 50's in 1912, it was more than likely worn by a daughter to the event. I say daughter, as her first initial is the "J," her middle initial is the "N," and her married last name began with the letter "K." Any TNetters have access to a genealogical website that can help with the descendants of Algernon and Elizabeth Ent? Happy Hunting, Sub 8-)

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oooh.Very nice.still got the pin too,thats just a bonus.One of those are probably on every relic hunters wish list.I know one has been on mine forever.Congratulations!nice sunburst too!

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First and only I have ever seen. What a spectacular find!

richardson

Jan 8, 2014
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus;
Nokta Makro Anfibio;
Garrett AT Pro;
Tesoro Vaquero;
Fisher F5;
Whites Eagle Spectrum - Started it all
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AMAZING finds! Congratulations

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a couple of great finds young lady.You make us proud to have you with us! Great pix the first try too whats not to like.Best of luck in the hunts this year and HH.....

rons1947

Jul 12, 2007
Palm Bay,Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congratulations on a great find.I found a similar Civil War I.D. pin back on April 10th,2000.My pin was for William Steffy ,company B,New York State Volunteers.I looked up his record at the National Archives in Washington,D.C. It was a really exciting find for me.

100_1824.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread