Medallion from Spanish American War Cigarette Lighter, Eagle "I," Barber 25c & More!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Medallion from Spanish American War Cigarette Lighter, Eagle "I," Barber 25c & More!

Hello All,

Did a 2.5 day digging marathon with DG and Shang. Here's a short video:

First day Shang tried out his Deus and he stood and watched me dig a nice spur :)

184_1012.JPG

Then DiggerGirl got a strange medallion which I am almost positive is a side medallion from a Spanish American War Cigarette Lighter:

HPIM5183.JPG Screenshot 2015-04-21 21.38.26.png Screenshot 2015-04-21 21.38.49.png

Lots of targets dug, but nothing really good except those two targets to speak of--although I did get a William IV keyhole cover from a smokehouse lock. That dates this lock cover to between 1830 and 1837.

HPIM5171.JPG

Also picked up a VR keyhole cover (Victoria Regina) and was hoping for a GR keyhole cover (Georgius Rex) for the trifecta. :D

HPIM5172.JPG

Second and third days were DG and I only. She dug her first Eagle cuff button on Day 2, and it's an "I."

HPIM5180.JPG

Not much else dug that day. The last day we walked into a spot that had definite colonial signs but lots of can slaw holding things up and slowing us down. I picked up a good many clay pipe stems and eyeballed a perfect English Gun Flint laying right on top of the ground.

184_1017.JPG HPIM5176.JPG

I got a nice 83 reading and was expecting another whole aluminum can but instead dug a 1906-O Barber Quarter.

HPIM5177.JPG HPIM5178.JPG

Man, once I opened the flood gate on Barber Quarters they're everywhere. Took 22 years to dig one and now I have 3 in a little over a year. Go figure. :D She dug a lot of finds that day too, including a Buffalo nickel. I got a V nickel.

HPIM5179.JPG HPIM5173.JPG

I dig dig a nice trigger guard with a flower design that I was very pleased with.

HPIM5174.JPG

Also dug a strange piece of cast brass that looks like an oak leaf. Not sure what this is, but it could be something--and will definitely get saved!

HPIM5175.JPG

All our finds.

HPIM5170.JPG HPIM5184.JPG finds fun field.JPG

finds site.JPG DG finds.JPG

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 18

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great team! You always get such interesting and magnificent finds. These are no exception!!...Brad

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great team! You always get such interesting and magnificent finds. These are no exception!!...Brad

a lot of it is that we absolutely refuse to go home until something good pops up. It's just plain ole stubbornness.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, that table full of finds puts it all in perspective, you don't need a finds pouch, you need a finds wagon!!

excellent finds!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
What kind of hunt would you have if you didn't dig at least one good silver coin?
Good to see you didn't disappoint , congrats on another great hunt!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the assortment of finds found from the hunts. Given that another silver is in the pocket and well done on the flint eyeball find, the find of hunts is the side medallion from a Spanish American War Cigarette Lighter, that is one very great recovery.
I wonder if it was part of the complete lighter that's still out there, or the medallion just fell off the lighter and the owner still retained it?

GWWJR

Jul 4, 2004
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds. Particularly like the trigger guard.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another super hunt!! :thumbsup:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Talk about target rich hunts! I am sure you realize how lucky you are to have a partner like DG and a great friend like Shane. Great pics and video as always. I was gonna say you 3 found everything but the kitchen sink, but I am sure if I look closely, I might spot parts of one of those!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, that table full of finds puts it all in perspective, you don't need a finds pouch, you need a finds wagon!!

excellent finds!

And three buckets of junk rusted iron and can slaw weighing well over 100lbs. Lots of targets dug, but as always not much that was display case worthy.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of hunt would you have if you didn't dig at least one good silver coin?
Good to see you didn't disappoint , congrats on another great hunt!

There were many hunts in VA and KY where I didn't dig any silvers. But down here, with fields that have been farmed in the same way for 300 years, you get to the point where you know where to look for farmer dropped coins, even if you get skunked on an actual site. Louisiana will be a repository of farmer-dropped silver for decades to come, because I don't think hunters down here know where or how to search for them. I like to put myself in those spots where experience has taught me that these drops can be dug, because what I can find can just as easily be a Reale as it can be a Mercury Dime or Franklin Half.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going on the assortment of finds found from the hunts. Given that another silver is in the pocket and well done on the flint eyeball find, the find of hunts is the side medallion from a Spanish American War Cigarette Lighter, that is one very great recovery.
I wonder if it was part of the complete lighter that's still out there, or the medallion just fell off the lighter and the owner still retained it?

Time will tell, since it's the first time we've hunted that field. The good news is that now, armed with a photo of an original, we know what we're looking for in terms of finding more pieces. Digging the medallion from the other side would seal the deal that the complete lighter fell out of someone's pocket.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds. Particularly like the trigger guard.

I was really pleased with that. I remember that one of my buddies dug one with a flower design (daisy, I believe) in Indiana years ago. Glad to have one in my collection now. I imagine they're from a Pennsylvania/Kentucky style long rifle.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk about target rich hunts! I am sure you realize how lucky you are to have a partner like DG and a great friend like Shane. Great pics and video as always. I was gonna say you 3 found everything but the kitchen sink, but I am sure if I look closely, I might spot parts of one of those!

Haha, could be! We did dig a bell from a crank telephone. :D

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs . Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures with us

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My favorite find might be that gun flint. For some reason those are hard to come by in spite of all the musketballs and gun parts that seem to pop up all the time. Nice hunt guys!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still amazed at what you 3 dig there from all periods of history. I like the spur and Molly's Eagle "I". BTW-Doug says his truck heater works great now-LOL. WTG, Q.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread