My field season is officially over, but I recovered an unusual colonial copper on Wed

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been trying my hardest to get back into an awesome new site that I've only been able to hunt once for a half day when Evan visited over 3 weeks ago. But due to a continual stream of hunters and other guests staying at the property, the overseers have not allowed me access. I was earlier able to get into a small, remote field that was part of this property for 3 times, and made some nice recoveries including the sword guard, 5 colonial coins and over 50 buttons. And I got the green light to hit that site again yesterday afternoon, but when I arrived I could immediately see the field had just been planted and, of course, was now off limits. While in the area I drove over to check on the other big site, and that too was planted. It's been very frustrating knowing I have permission to hunt this fantastic site, but can't find a way to get in there. But now it'll have to wait for the fall, and hopefully circumstances will be better at that time.

On the way out I passed the house owned by an elderly lady I had met a few weeks ago, and she had let me hunt her back yard which was the site of a major archaeological dig about 25 years ago. I had dug a surprising number of items seeing how a huge area had been excavated and sifted, and most of my finds came from that spot. Yesterday I decided to roam around the perimeter of the dug area, and again recovered a couple buttons, a large shoe buckle piece, a musketball, and another watch winder part. But when I got home I realized what I thought was a thin flat button was actually some kind of small copper coin. I used the hydrogen peroxide method of cleaning (which really hasn't worked all that great for me in the past), and it did reveal a couple of small details. From the close-ups below, there appears to be an "H" at both the 9 and 10 o'clock positions on what's likely the reverse. And you can see the stippling around the perimeter on the front which is a common feature on early coins. I don't have a positive ID yet, but have a feeling its a small denomination 18th century Spanish copper. If anyone recognizes it please let me know.

It's been a fun and successful season, and I'm now looking forward to consolidating my best finds, writing a few articles, doing research for the fall, and getting out for some water hunting. Hopefully the boring summer will pass by quickly, and I'll be back in the fields before you know it.

Attachments

• 042215a.jpg
    042215a.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 209
  • 042215b.jpg
    042215b.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 246
  • 042215c.jpg
    042215c.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 18

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice token

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You had a great Spring season, Bill. Nice finds as usual!

Kirk

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow..nice find Bill.
I have never seen one of them posted before..
Sorry to hear your season is over for now..
I know you will be chomping at yhe bit for fall!!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow..nice find Bill.
I have never seen one of them posted before..
Sorry to hear your season is over for now..
I know you will be chomping at yhe bit for fall!!

Thanks George. Yeah, it's sad to see things come to an end, but it'll be nice to have a break and catch up on things like re-doing my displays, catching up on some reading, doing research, etc. But having a potentially great site to hit first thing in the fall is quite motivating, and will keep me excited over the summer.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good digs, and I like the "His Half Penny" token. Shame your season is ending up there. Seems like ours has been drowned out. It's rained for over two weeks now on every day when we could get out for a hunt. April may just have to be the "lost month" this year for us. :(

-Buck

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool coin Bill. I can't wait to see your finds for the year. Are you going to do a video too?

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find Bill, congrats. Your season is over and I am just crawling out of hibernation. Man we had quite a winter here in the NE and I don't want to see another like it for some time.
Do you find much on the beaches in the off season?
ZDD

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool coin Bill. I can't wait to see your finds for the year. Are you going to do a video too?

I doubt I try to do a video Joey since my finds overall this season were significantly less than any of the previous three. This week I'm gonna start pulling out some of the better finds and at least take a few pics. BTW - my Lord Baltimore article will be coming in the next week or so and I'll be sure to get you a copy, especially since your name is in it multiple times. Email me your new home address when you get a chance.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool find Bill, congrats. Your season is over and I am just crawling out of hibernation. Man we had quite a winter here in the NE and I don't want to see another like it for some time.
Do you find much on the beaches in the off season?
ZDD

Thanks Dave. I generally just hunt the populated swimming areas along local the local bays, rivers and the oceanfront looking for gold jewelry as an off-season change-of-pace. I do have that one colonial creekfront site I've been hitting for years, but its just about played out as far as detecting finds are concerned. But I still hit it a couple times a year in hopes that something amazing may have washed out of the bank. It's been a while too so I'll have to make plans to go back there soon. Sorry about the ridiculous winter you guys had, but hopefully you can get back to business soon. Good luck and I'll be looking forward to your posts ..... Bill

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill that is a cool early Token find..At least you had enough detail to IP/ID it!

I didn't know you Virginian fellas used the word "Awesome"...That's awesome:thumbsup:

~Blaze~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions