My field season is officially over, but I recovered an unusual colonial copper on Wed

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been trying my hardest to get back into an awesome new site that I've only been able to hunt once for a half day when Evan visited over 3 weeks ago. But due to a continual stream of hunters and other guests staying at the property, the overseers have not allowed me access. I was earlier able to get into a small, remote field that was part of this property for 3 times, and made some nice recoveries including the sword guard, 5 colonial coins and over 50 buttons. And I got the green light to hit that site again yesterday afternoon, but when I arrived I could immediately see the field had just been planted and, of course, was now off limits. While in the area I drove over to check on the other big site, and that too was planted. It's been very frustrating knowing I have permission to hunt this fantastic site, but can't find a way to get in there. But now it'll have to wait for the fall, and hopefully circumstances will be better at that time.

On the way out I passed the house owned by an elderly lady I had met a few weeks ago, and she had let me hunt her back yard which was the site of a major archaeological dig about 25 years ago. I had dug a surprising number of items seeing how a huge area had been excavated and sifted, and most of my finds came from that spot. Yesterday I decided to roam around the perimeter of the dug area, and again recovered a couple buttons, a large shoe buckle piece, a musketball, and another watch winder part. But when I got home I realized what I thought was a thin flat button was actually some kind of small copper coin. I used the hydrogen peroxide method of cleaning (which really hasn't worked all that great for me in the past), and it did reveal a couple of small details. From the close-ups below, there appears to be an "H" at both the 9 and 10 o'clock positions on what's likely the reverse. And you can see the stippling around the perimeter on the front which is a common feature on early coins. I don't have a positive ID yet, but have a feeling its a small denomination 18th century Spanish copper. If anyone recognizes it please let me know.

It's been a fun and successful season, and I'm now looking forward to consolidating my best finds, writing a few articles, doing research for the fall, and getting out for some water hunting. Hopefully the boring summer will pass by quickly, and I'll be back in the fields before you know it.

Attachments

• 042215a.jpg
    042215a.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 210
  • 042215b.jpg
    042215b.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 247
  • 042215c.jpg
    042215c.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 237
Upvote 18

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sad that your field spring season is over, and almost funny at the same time being April 23, my field spring season has yet to begin.

Hope you get an ID on the smallish copper, I can see something, but...perhaps it would help a lot if you cropped the pic first, it would then be much bigger pic.
Email me the original, I'll do it.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 HECK OF A SPRING SO FAR !!:thumbsup:

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Interesting coin find. I hope someone can ID it since I am sure it would be a new one for your collection. Glad you were able to sneak a few more finds out of that site.
-Evan

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel for ya, but for a lot of us the hunting has just begun!

Cool finds! Congrats! On the small coin, looks like there is either a "P B or R" at about where the seven would be.
Hope it turns out to be ultra rare for you!

Looking forward to reading your articles, always informative!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
sad that your field spring season is over, and almost funny at the same time being April 23, my field spring season has yet to begin.

Hope you get an ID on the smallish copper, I can see something, but...perhaps it would help a lot if you cropped the pic first, it would then be much bigger pic.
Email me the original, I'll do it.

Rick - if you click on the thumbnail pic it brings up a much large image which clearly shows the details. Not sure that cropping would be of much additional benefit, but I've done that below as you requested. Sometimes when you zoom in too much its difficult to view.

042215b2.jpg

here4themoney

Mar 3, 2015
SE Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold - White's Prizm IV - BountyHunter Quick Draw II - BountyHunter Pioneer 101 - Compass Judge
Garrett Pro Pointer - Gold Pans and Sluices
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a little editing to try and bring out some detail. I see the 2 H's .. to the left of them i see what could be and "A" and maybe a "M" next to it spelling something that goes around the top of the coin on a curve. also on the right side near the 4 o'clock posion I see what maybe smaller writing a "D" and a "A" .. hope this helps.. nice find

coinfromtnedited.jpg

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you may have another 17th century token. (many types)

Attachments

• Tradetokenside2.jpg
    Tradetokenside2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 140
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Wow - great catch IP - thanks! That has to be it. Do you have any more info on that particular token, or have a pic of the other side?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

I see what you mean IP. I tried looking those up and there are numerous varieties. Probably never figure out which one, but the category and dating seem pretty solid. Thanks again.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see what you mean IP. I tried looking those up and there are numerous varieties. Probably never figure out which one, but the category and dating seem pretty solid. Thanks again.

Yeah probably impossible given the lack of detail, and too bad being such an early token.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you could find records from that dig maybe they found another.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If you could find records from that dig maybe they found another.

The elderly lady who owns the property has several boxes of records and photos that were given to her, and that I went through, but nothing with any details that cataloged the finds. And I can't find a copy of the final report anywhere. But some of the finds are in the local museum, but unfortunately no coins or tokens.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
IP - I also found what I thought was a coin about 5 years ago and never could ID it. Its about the same size and composition as the token I just found, and was wondering if this could be one too. What do you think?

122609c.jpg

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill,

First off, congrats on the token. Interesting find, wish it was in better condition. But I say that about everything I find.
Second, your season may be "officially" over, but "unofficially" I will say right here and now that you will dig more colonial relics before Memorial Day rolls around. I look forward to those posts.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a great ID from IP. Very cool find Bill. You've made some very unique finds this season and I have a feeling we will see more from you when the water warms up a bit. The temp it is now is like bath water here in Maine lol

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill,

First off, congrats on the token. Interesting find, wish it was in better condition. But I say that about everything I find.
Second, your season may be "officially" over, but "unofficially" I will say right here and now that you will dig more colonial relics before Memorial Day rolls around. I look forward to those posts.

I know I always go back on my word Steve when I say my season is over, but its for real this year. All fields are planted or off limits due to spring turkey season, and I'm not even going to attempt getting out again. So unless an early, virgin site falls out of the sky and into my lap, I'm done.

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Looks like a match to my eyes.

Congrats on that sweet old copper token.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread