gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I finally got out again for some detecting fun with my buddy Dustin. The rain held off, and the woods weren't too overgrown quite yet, so that was nice. Overall a great escape from life for the aftrnoon. This may be our last outing there for a while - growing season and tick season are here, plus our schedules are rapidly filling up with commitments. Oh well, here was my take for the day.

Badly corroded sharps and hankins bullets and brass case bottoms, one smith, and some assorted pistol bullets. My first barthalow from this site so that's cool. Keyhole and cover have iron on the back, I've seen some similar looking on period padlocks online. Four hole button.

The brass ring is a cool personal relic. I'm not usually one for cleaning my relics any more than. I have to, but I think I might do some electrolysis to bring this one back to the way it was worn. Opinions welcome.

The find of the day was the mouthpiece from a brass instrument. I've seen similar ones called bugle mouthpieces online. A very knowledgeable friend said it was for a coronet. I'm not entirety sure but its pretty cool either way. One of those relics that you wish could tell its story.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting y'all.

Attachments

• IMG_20150423_020615.jpg
    IMG_20150423_020615.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 11

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love that mouthpiece! Think of how FEW soldiers carried one, and it's much rarer than a buckle.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That perfect, flawless mouthpiece is one heck of a find. Most certainly a bugle or cornet mouthpiece. I would much rather see that in the hole than a common eagle plate!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah not many of those mouthpieces get posted here! Thats the first I've seen on TNET !! :occasion14:

OP
OP
gtoast99

gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks y'all! Very few I'm sure, and since I know who was camped her, I'm hoping to narrow it down to a pretty short list. Still working on that research. I'm very blessed to have found it, a cool centerpiece for sure.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. I remember those ( except mine was from the 1970's ! )

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the mouthpiece it's in great shape. Seeing it makes me wonder if it was a just a loss, or if the person was a casualty?

OP
OP
gtoast99

gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Probably just a loss. I'm working a camp site, I don't have any records of battle right there, and I'm not finding fired bullets. Of course that's not to say a soldier couldn't have died of wounds or disease in camp and his effects left behind. We'll never know but it is fascinating to think about the possibilities.

N.O. noir et d'or

Dec 9, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
White's Dfx 300, Fisher CZ20, Garrett ATX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
GT99, Agree with all in that your mouthpiece is a very remarkable recovery! Would love to uncover one - Thanks for posting!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, Tony! Hope the Bugle mouthpiece cleans up for you. :)

Can you imagine what you will find when you finally get a GPX to that site? :headbang:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How interesting! To think, that might've last been touched by a young drummer/bugle boy in the Civil War. What a story!

You'd even have a better chance at finding the possible owner of that piece. I mean, if you know what companies were in that area.
How many buglers could there be?

I could see a whole story being written around that one piece.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread