MDing outing turns into a bottle dig

psgen

Apr 25, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 - White's Spectra V3i - White's XLT - Minelab Excaliber II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone just thought I'd share todays adventure.

I finally found the owner and gain permission to MD a location I've been researching for the pass couple of months. I was never so excited in all of my life, as I was when the owner said yes. The location was an old picnic grove....local newspapers archives have at least 22 articles listing the different events that have taken place there. Including Church picnics, 4th of July celebrations and Several County Farmers' Association picnics. The articles date between (1869 -1894). :o

A friend and I when to the site for the first time today.......sort of a MD'ing scouting trip. We busted out the detectors and started our work, which is no easy task as the place is now badly overgrown. I tried to imagine how the place looked 120 years ago and start in those areas first......anyways to make a long story short the detectors where of little or no use for us today, because of all the overgrowth. Looks like we have some serious work ahead of us before we can get down to the proper detecting of this site. We put the detector away and just sort of walked the area giving it a once over....that when we found an old dump site and the day turned into a bottle hunt.

The photos below are what I found just on the surface as I walked the area.... I can't wait to really get into it.....looks like it might be a summer long project..........

Psgen

P.S. If anyone wants more data or a closer photos of the bottles just ask!

Attachments

• dirty bottles.jpg
    dirty bottles.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 400
  • bottles 07 May 07.jpg
    bottles 07 May 07.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 396
  • measuring cup combo.jpg
    measuring cup combo.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 399
Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That mixing cup is a collectible-
1 crystal SPRY advertising 2Cup measuring pitcher, also marked Mixing & Measuring with nice long spout (Spry was a brand of solid shortening ) .... $35 ea
Here's another-
Description: This is a neat little measuring cup which was an advertising Promotional item for Spry Lard. Apparently Spry was made from rendered meat fat and thank God, is no longer made. This measuring cup measures a little over 4.25" tall and a little over 4.5" across the top. It has a slight foot on the bottom and is embossed at the bottom with SPRY in the center and around this is Measuring Mixing Pitcher. On one side it measures Cups, Pints, and Ounces and on the other side it measures just Cups but in different measurements than the other side. Excellent condition with no chips or cracks. What a great addition to any advertising or "Lard Memorabilia" collection!
Year: 1940's
Price-$24.99

Attachments

• spry1.jpg
    spry1.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 361

Swingit

Apr 29, 2007
Southwestern, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac Sun Ray X-1, Tesoro Vaquero, Cibola, Tejon
Love the mixing bowl. I have one just like it. I used it just the other day to make fresh Rhubarb Cake YUM If you want the recipe I can post it. Its very easy

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, you guys are making me hungry. Neat finds, love bottles. I'm always bringing home bottles and dishes. Little bottles are neat to find also.

HH, Ringfinder

P.S. Here is a picture of a little Sample Vicks bottle I found this year, also found the seated coin this year.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the picture of the Vicks bottle and a coin I found this year.

HH, Ringfinder

Attachments

• Vicks Bottle.jpg
    Vicks Bottle.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 256
  • Vicks Bottle.jpg
    Vicks Bottle.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 251
T

TreasureTales

Dumps - my favorite places to treasure hunt! Get yourselves some rakes and rake down deep, where the older stuff will be found. Then get/make a couple of sifting screens and sift that soil for coins, marbles, tokens, etc.

In the first picture I see what appears to be a French's Mustard jar (bottom row, second from right) and in the 2nd photo I see a ketchup bottle! Next to it (right side) is an old Alka-Seltzer bottle. They are great for storing quarters. With everything being made of plastic these days, those glass bottles will be collectible some day, but not for probably 25 more years. However, if you find any bottles with labels - save them! Even the bottles from the 1950s with labels will be collectible soon.

Don't forget to take some burlap or paper bags with you so you can haul your bottles out. And please, please, please post more pix of your trips to that dumpsite. I'm living life vicariously through your dump dig. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread