1.5 hours of hunting @ new fort site yields small gold!!!

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy T-netters! I guess this is gonna be my year for gold! Ten years ago I found my first gold coin which was a 1855 type II gold dollar with a crease in it when I lived in Kentucky. Most know by now about the 1783 gold 1/2 escudo I found at my fort site in Georgia and the scary thing about that is I believe there could be more gold there. Timing has to be right for me to get back up there. Never easy as a full-time student. Not far from where I live is a town called Middleburg and there is Fort Heilman Park, which was a fort site from 1838-1841. Of course I can't hunt the park because of protection by city authorities, but permission from locals in the adjacent areas was my next mission. An elderly gentlemen from the area told me he hunted the park area before it was a park back in the 1970s and found tons of goodies and to not be discouraged because the adjacent properties are putting out pretty good. He also stated that Heilman Park was abandoned after 1841, but troops continued to camp and do training in the area up till the 1920s. Wow, think of the possibilities with so many decades of soldiers! I started off in the area almost directly across from the park where a vast majority of people park after dropping their boats at the ramp. Detected for a bit there and found all the clad and zinc you see pictured. I asked the sheriff about the thicket beyond the parking area and he said it was fair game, but not to even think about getting close to Heilman Park. After messing around in the thicket for 40 minutes I got two high tones in one spot, +22 and +32 at a depth of 4.5 inches. Wow! Gold in the hole X2! I almost didn't see the smaller one right away. The $1 has a weak strike on the back of 1853 and the $2 1/2 has 1850. Philadelphia mint on both I suppose since I don't see a mint mark. Had to get home to take care of the kiddos sadly, but you know I will be back soon. I just like how close by it is! Enjoy the pics! HH!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 351
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 332
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Upvote 41

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FB_IMG_1427995346795.jpg unreal!!!!

that's amazing, great job on the gold!!!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Keep in mind. I'm still hopeful to find more gold at the 1812 site. There are areas near where I found my COB and 1/2 escudo that I haven't hunted yet! There is a huge gap and a tree in the way, and I haven't searched any of the muck near the water....who knows????

With the gold coming from your sites and lots of area still to search why wouldn't you feel like there's more gold to find, I would!

Here's hoping there's at least one more for ya!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
You're on a bigtime hotstreak WWB. Better get back out there and strike while the iron is still hot.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a killer find... two killer finds no less. Wow!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_sunny::award_star_bronze_2You got my banner vote in there WWB fantastic finds !!!! :occasion14:

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TWO goldies in one hunt!!! Big congrats Bill! Time to get the rest of their sisters,eh? Both pieces are in great condition it appears.....

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WILD BILL DONE WENT OF THE RAILS WITH THIS ONE. TWO GOLDS NOT ONE BUT TWO AND CONGRATS TO YOU.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spread the luck brother we all need some gold coin luck so spread it !!! Great job man sick finds!

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You played it so CASUAL! "Messing about in a thicket...." A thicket full of GOLD. Jeepers, seriously well done!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread