1.5 hours of hunting @ new fort site yields small gold!!!

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy T-netters! I guess this is gonna be my year for gold! Ten years ago I found my first gold coin which was a 1855 type II gold dollar with a crease in it when I lived in Kentucky. Most know by now about the 1783 gold 1/2 escudo I found at my fort site in Georgia and the scary thing about that is I believe there could be more gold there. Timing has to be right for me to get back up there. Never easy as a full-time student. Not far from where I live is a town called Middleburg and there is Fort Heilman Park, which was a fort site from 1838-1841. Of course I can't hunt the park because of protection by city authorities, but permission from locals in the adjacent areas was my next mission. An elderly gentlemen from the area told me he hunted the park area before it was a park back in the 1970s and found tons of goodies and to not be discouraged because the adjacent properties are putting out pretty good. He also stated that Heilman Park was abandoned after 1841, but troops continued to camp and do training in the area up till the 1920s. Wow, think of the possibilities with so many decades of soldiers! I started off in the area almost directly across from the park where a vast majority of people park after dropping their boats at the ramp. Detected for a bit there and found all the clad and zinc you see pictured. I asked the sheriff about the thicket beyond the parking area and he said it was fair game, but not to even think about getting close to Heilman Park. After messing around in the thicket for 40 minutes I got two high tones in one spot, +22 and +32 at a depth of 4.5 inches. Wow! Gold in the hole X2! I almost didn't see the smaller one right away. The $1 has a weak strike on the back of 1853 and the $2 1/2 has 1850. Philadelphia mint on both I suppose since I don't see a mint mark. Had to get home to take care of the kiddos sadly, but you know I will be back soon. I just like how close by it is! Enjoy the pics! HH!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 352
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 333
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Upvote 41

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um now you owe me a keyboard cause I just spit coffee all over mine . Not one gold but two oh my god..... congratulations

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW------THATS ALL I CAN SAY------WOW----:notworthy:--------:occasion14:

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
WOW awesome finds congratulations!!!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked the sheriff about the thicket beyond the parking area and he said it was fair game, but not to even think about getting close to Heilman Park.

Finding a gold coin is any coinshooter's grail. But, two? Phenomenal! WTG!

The line I quoted simply begs the question, why!?. Just what are they hiding!!!! I think I'd want a refund of the portion of my taxes that went to any park that will not let me pursue my version of happiness!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the gold coins. I'd need fibrillated if I dug one. Need to call 911 for sure.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
For only an hour and a half you did really really good! Imagine what you could do in a full day! lol

I think the gold finds you, wow, you got the luck the rest of us wish we had!
Congrats on your awesome finds!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very impressive! I would call that a BIG gold find in my book! :treasurechest::notworthy:

OP
OP
W

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For only an hour and a half you did really really good! Imagine what you could do in a full day! lol

I think the gold finds you, wow, you got the luck the rest of us wish we had!
Congrats on your awesome finds!

Keep in mind. I'm still hopeful to find more gold at the 1812 site. There are areas near where I found my COB and 1/2 escudo that I haven't hunted yet! There is a huge gap and a tree in the way, and I haven't searched any of the muck near the water....who knows????

procali

Nov 16, 2013
BajaMex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, ctx 3030, sdc 2300, Sovereign Gt, Excal 1000, x-terra 705, profind, propointer. Stealth 720i and 920ix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the doubble gold, its been over a year now since my last gold coin, my vote is in banner al the way!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic to the nth degree! Congratulations on the multiple gold find!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, that just sucks the excitement right out of my pull tabs and nails. Those are beauties, for sure. Can't wait to see what you find next!

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My votes in.. AWESOME Just Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest: