Spanish Silver, 6 Coppers, Shoe Buckle, Heel Plate, 17 Buttons

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a rare day and a half of solid hunting. Saturday morning I went looking for a mid 1600svtavern that apparently didn't want to be found....but I found two cellar holes unexpectedly. Not as old as I like but they were there so I started searching. Buttons and coppers came quick then I found a beautiful brass heel plate. I also found a really ugly Spanish silver but I'm always happy to have them. I got home last night and took my stuff out. No heel plate. I walked over 7 miles and figured I'd never find it. I was pretty bummed and decided that I would get up super early and go look for it as I thought I may know approximately where I lost it. I got in there early this morning and quickly found it. I was psyched as its a cool design and a nice thick solid brass plate. I decided that I wanted to go somewhere older and headed back to my truck. Nailed a couple more buttons on the way out. I got to the next site and eventually found the colonial cellar hole. Dug a couple of buttons early on and then got a nice 88 signal and after a battle with some tree roots got the shoe buckle out. I also found a nice old hoe as well. After cleaning up the 6 coppers I've decided from now on I'm only hunting 16 and 1700s sites. I'm so sick of digging toasted coppers I don't care if I ever see another. One of the coppers is a KGii that may be counterfeit. It's got some weird rust spots on it. Theres a large cent and two tokens as well. Ones an 1837 Canadian bank token. The spanish I 1782 I think? Never dug this many keepers so quickly in my life. But from now on its the real old stuff or bust. I know I'm spoiled but I'm just being honest. Good luck out there guys
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 29

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were some killer hunts Bud!!
I know exactly how you feel about the coppers..
But. If you go to older site that means ur going to dig older coppers.. Like wiliam the 111s and wiliam and marys.
But they could still be toasted..
Throw a cob and a tree coin in once in a will toooo..
Got to take the good with the bad..

Ed (Upstate NY)

Aug 19, 2007
New York's Capital Region
Detector(s) used
New for 2023 Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus. Minelab Explorers SE Pro & XS, Whites 6000 Di Pro, DFX & Beach Hunter, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sad what happens to those coppers after being in the ground so long. I dug a few last year that had absolutely no details to ID them. I hate that. Nice hunts though.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to add, Waaa Waaaa Waaaa...
Stop crying like a little baby..

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd say you had a good day 1/2 hunt. Love them old coppers. Congrats on the many finds. :thumbsup:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome stuff There. Glad you were able to locate that heel plate when you went back. She's a beauty.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe you posted such ugliness! Lol kidding obviously, man that's a sh-- ton of keepers, old ones too, damn!, now I see why you searched so much for the heel plate, that's killer!

Awesome post abe!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Keep trying, you might catch a keeper one of these times! lol

Just kidding you did awesome out there, all you need is for one of those old cellars to kick out another stunner!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool finds Abe! :occasion14:
Glad to hear you found the heel plate, it's a real beauty! :thumbsup:

You even found an 1837 Canadian Half Penny... all I found today was a 1898 LC! :laughing7:

Congrats buddy,
Dave

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never heard someone complain after what many would call an epic day o' hunting. (EDITED) I got out for about 45 minutes and my copper included a 1910 wheat. My silvers were a couple Mercs so go ahead and I'll play the worlds smallest violin for you...

I see you found that place you mentioned looking for in your text however, so even though it didn't hold up to your standards I'm very happy for you.

All kidding aside: Great finds and a great day buddy.

Last edited by a moderator:

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! I chanced on an older site this year. 1820's but I'm hoping it goes back into the 1700's. Gotta do some more searching.

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Abe real nice digs, I know what you mean digging those Old Coppers up only to have them toasted sucks indeed, but like they say any day of digging is better then a day at work :thumbsup:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you on the toast, but some come out nice, and that makes it worth it. Today I said to Dave " I wish at least one of those coppers was in good condition.
I wish my shoe buckles wern't always broken.
I wish my silvers had rare dates.
But I guess that's hunting.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Just wow! I can't even begin to express how awesome this is! :notworthy:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're never gonna duplicate that best day. Give it up and be happy to dig old toasted coppers. People on the west coast would love one lol.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic hunt, as always! Thank you for sharing!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool bunch of finds Ahab. Everything you posted is fantastic!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, now that was a good hunt Ahab, That ugliness on that silver is only character. Looks good to me.
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions