Wet your whistle on the Pennsylvania Railroad

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Last week I thought I had finally found privies associated with a 19th century homesite in the neighborhood where I grew up. We had pinpointed the location of the house from old maps and aerial photos and found side by side evidence of two privies a perfect distance from "the house." We probed and could feel and hear evidence of civilization down there. Everything was perfect, except the probe didn't go as deep as expected. So we dug, and quickly found broken glass and other relics. A colored marble fell out (six so far), we found remnants of toys, two milk bottles, lots of cool stuff. At about two feet, we ran into a solid clay layer and hopes of these being privies flew out the window. Still, we were finding interesting items so we continued digging and yesterday started sifting. The coolest find of the day was this brass Pennsylvania Railroad conductor's whistle, or at least that's what the evidence points to. Unless, of course, it belonged to Phillip Richard Robertson or something.

Attachments

• prrwhistle1 (Small).jpg
    prrwhistle1 (Small).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 123
  • prrwhistle2 (Small).jpg
    prrwhistle2 (Small).jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 8

I-DIG-IT

Silver Member
Mar 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs. I don't think they would hear a whistle, engines would be to loud, that's why they use lanterns, I could be wrong, cool whistle either way.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a nice whistle and a good story also, would be worth trying to find out more information about it. :occasion14:

S

stefen

When digging privies, remember not to blow whistles and don't bite your nails...:occasion14:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When digging privies, remember not to blow whistles and don't bite your nails...:occasion14:

I thought that was the requirement for being a plumber, but it works here as well!
Good find. Not something you see posted often so great job!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread