Crowdcontrol

Greenie
Apr 27, 2015
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out at first light today to one of the local public parks. It was my first time going to any public park in my small town. Hunted for about 2 hours before I left due to rain. I currently don't own a pin pointer. So if i got a decent signal i would cut a small plug and even had a decent size chunk of an old towel to lay loose soil on to even further mask my digging spots. I checked all over online to find any laws barring me from digging at this place, even sent a letter to the chamber of commerce asking if i could dig there about 2 weeks ago. Didn't get a response. Now if i couldn't find the target after digging my small plugs I would cover them back up, and was planning on coming back to them when I got my pin pointer. Fast forward a couple hours when the rain stopped again and its about noon. Got back out to the park and started hunting again. About 45 minutes go by and a city cop comes up. Seemed like a really nice guy, was very polite and informed me that several of the neighbors had called in and told them I was out there digging. He said he used to metal detect when he lived back in Indiana. So we talked for about 5 minutes or so and he told me that the city didn't want me here digging. Since he was a nice guy i told him I wasn't gonna give him any guff. I mean, he's just doing his job. So I informed him about not being able to find anything online about not being able to detect here, and about my letter to the chamber of commerce. He said "Well if i were you id try to dig up some paper work and maybe speak to city council about it." I personally know the head of city council and as soon as he gets back from Nebraska I plan to get this sorted out with him. Sure the city may maintain that PUBLIC park, but they do it with the tax payers money. Well I'm not gonna fight tooth and nail but I will certainly be heard. okay so rant over, heres some pictures.

IMG_1072.jpg IMG_1073.JPG

Upvote 7

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are some parks around here that are posted as no metal detecting, along with a list of other things. But if it's not posted, I'm hunting. I pay plenty in taxes and deserve to enjoy the area as much as the next person.

guardez

Apr 19, 2014
SEMO
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 Pro Pack ,Tesoro DeLeon, Outlaw, Compadre,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do as I do. Ask who the callers were. You are entitled to this info if some one did actually call. Then go to each residence
with detector in hand and ask for permission to search their yard. If the answer is no then you can relate the tale that some nosey so and so had called in when you were in the park and now you are out of places to hunt. Further drop the hint that since MDing is not against the city ordinances (you will have to check this ahead of time) you are considering harassment charges against anyone who called, but " I know you wouldn't have because you are such a nice person" blah blah. Works like a charm every time. In fact the last time I used this trick, I had a woman reverse herself and let me search her yard. May not be a cure all, but it sure scares the hell
out of the nosey neighbors and ends the calls when you are on city property.

Best of Luck,

Guardez

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, glad I don't live in your neighborhood. It seems some people only exist on this planet to complain and whine about others when they should just be minding their own business. Went out very early yesterday morning and walked onto a local park. I was the first one there around 6 am, technically trespassing as the gate usually does not open until 7 am. A city police car and the head of park work crew both drove by and just waved to me. Nice finds though! Invest in a good pin pointer and you can triple that in the same amount of time. HH:thumbsup:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had numerous experiences. I had a police stop me from detecting the park in the center of the town, yet the night before 2 officers beeped there horns to get my attention and ask if I was having any luck. There are no laws on the books in town unless the grass could be considered a crop. I read the ordinances line by line. Most of the time it's just who's on duty and their personal feelings on the subject . I was even using a towel to make sure all residual dirt made it back into the hole after I pulled the target. The officer actually came up to me and asked me "what the H_ll was I doing? People might see me!" I stated that I wasn't doing anything immoral or illegal. I didn't want to confront the officer so I packed up and left. Needless to say I hunted that property 2 times since then without any police intervention. I also went to a small unincorporated town which has had the same park land that is on a map dated 1874. After about 15 minutes on site, an older woman (widower) came out out of her house and yelled "You can't dig there". I acknowledge her, but continued to MD and cut clean plugs. After 30 minutes she came out and apologized stating that someone detected the park about 5 years ago and did not fill his holes. I showed her my google satellite map of the site along with the portion of the 1874 map I printed. She was impressed with the way I researched the site and filled the plugs so they were unidentifiable. She offered me some water and we began to talk about the towns history. She then began identifying houses in town that have stickler's as owners and to not waste my time trying to get permission from them. She also recommended that when I was done to go find a little town called Peru in the area. She was pretty sure I'd find older coins there.

Keep your chin up, not all police are the same and many also enjoy this hobby.

Good Luck and hope all works out for you.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel safer living in a community that has nosey neighbors. What burns my @ss is we have a fairgrounds in town. But they will not permit you to detect there. Yet when they have events on wet weekend and there are ruts everywhere from vehicles driving on the grass and they can build a fire anywhere when they allow camping there, but you can't get permission to dig a few plugs and make it look like you've never been there. I forgot to mention that they have antique machinery events. You wouldn't believe the amount of oils and fuels that end up in the soil, but again that's allowable.

There are also signs at the gates that say no pets, roller blades or bikes, yet I have seen all 3, and they are not confronted about violating those posted rules.

OP
OP
C

Crowdcontrol

Greenie
Apr 27, 2015
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for that little trick, ill have to try that sometime. I'm gonna check around a little more to make sure without a doubt that there is no ordinances against metal detecting at that spot. Im about 95% sure right now that there isn't anyways. I might have an ace in the hole though, the guy i mentioned earlier thats head of the city council is a pretty good family friend. Im sure he will hear me out and send me in the right direction.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some people should mind their own dam business

Always happens when some miserable ass doesn't have a real life, so they want to be sure and ruin everybody else's as well.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Merc dime congrats!

You may want to try using a probe (AKA screw driver) to find the target before you dig, sometimes you can just pop the coin out with out digging. It also makes who ever called sound like a lunatic to the responding officer when you hold it up and say "Digging, me? With what, this?" Also point out there are no disturbed areas where you were.
Hope you get your pin pointer soon they do help locate a target.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love my new garrett probe. Get one asap. Pinpointers are life savers. IMO srewdrivers or any other probe scratches your target.

Cheers

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I mean, it's obvious you're a criminal who was digging holes to hide your murder weapons and crack right?

Some people really irk me, it's a PUBLIC park, I'd tell that guy to shove it

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check your local Laws Its not Hard!!! A pin pointer helps A lot But not Absolutely Necessary. Dig Clean Plugs in a Horseshoe Shape And After Finding Your treasure fill the Hole And Flip the Plug Over And Lightly Step on it!!! Always Take your trash with you and Show It When Necessary Witch is All The Time!!! HH Chug And Red

Vandalism Can Be determined In Different Ways!!!! Do Not Remove Even A Blade Of Grass Chug

When In Doubt Take a Picture of the Sign And Post it On Treasurenet You Should Get A Lot Of Responses

Note: We have Had Over 12 Calls On Us over the Years No problems As Long as N Damage Is Seen So Far

Now we Are Hitting Some Newer County Parks No Problems Yet But We Read The Sign Before Entering

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Note Pin pointers Help A lot HH Chug and Red

Silas

May 20, 2014
I live in a mitten
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once had a cruiser shadow me at the park a few months ago, again no laws on the books and I'm one of the guys who goes out of his way to pick up garbage, big and small and dispose of it. I waved and went on until he left. The jokes on him,that days finds; 1 memorial penny and a lawnmower cut sprinkler.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread