GREATEST DAY EVER>>>>>>>>>HUGE COIN SPILL PICS

coinhunter inc.

Apr 16, 2015
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Garrett Pro, Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK GUYS................I took today off and hunted at a friend who owned 200 acres who told me about some "ruins" in his woods, I went out, about 1 minute into the hunt, buff nick, then, coin after coin after coin after coin after coin, one after another of all sorts of different years, nothing after 1969, all pre-1969 different countries, different years, Indians, buffs, v's, flying eagles, barbers, large cents from Canada, New Zealand, some I don't know yet..........in all 394, yes 394 coins came out of the ground and in decent shape but tons of glass caused me to stop today, going back, If you want I will ad many more pics, but here are a few, I need help with the 1865 coin..............I am so totally psyched..............................so now I have to edit because of some people who called me a liar, I thought it was pretty evident that this was a coin collection that I found, I th ink I broke the bottles when I was digging these up, out of the entire group only several of these coins were off by themselves, I realize that these coins are in great shape and am not claiming I pulled 400 individual coins from the ground, I thought it would be evident but I guess you have to clarify every fact so you are not called a liar.

Attachments

• IMG_0293.JPG
    IMG_0293.JPG
    411.1 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0295 (2).JPG
    IMG_0295 (2).JPG
    457.9 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_0295.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG
    453.1 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_0290.JPG
    IMG_0290.JPG
    440.5 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0289.JPG
    IMG_0289.JPG
    487.2 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0297.JPG
    IMG_0297.JPG
    557.6 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_0298.JPG
    IMG_0298.JPG
    480.6 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0299.JPG
    IMG_0299.JPG
    447.2 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    576.3 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_0301.JPG
    IMG_0301.JPG
    543.9 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_0302.JPG
    IMG_0302.JPG
    565.9 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_0303.JPG
    IMG_0303.JPG
    536.7 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
Upvote 22

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
GREATEST DAY EVER>>>>>>>>>HUGE COIN SPILL PICS

You got someone's coin collection there; it doesn't appear that they've been in the ground all that long, very little or no corrosion.
Post up the pile, drop a few jaws!

1865...,Finland

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

coinhunter inc.

Apr 16, 2015
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that is the question I was going to ask you guys, all the coins were within 10-25 yard area, they almost all of them were in great condition, only very few were coroded, however, I found parts of glass jars, but no coin after 1969, the 1969 coin was a proof quarter, it is in pristine..........I do not understand how these coins could be in such great shape, I also found some matchbox cars, boy scout stuff,

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be some kids got into their parents coin jar and took them to their new fort in the woods?

OP
OP
C

coinhunter inc.

Apr 16, 2015
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
look, I don't lie and do not collect coins, these coins were found today, I do not care if you believe me or not, they were at 4-6 inches and had glass and some kind of plastic that they were wrapped in, I do not care if you believe me or not but do not call me a liar, I was excited to post this because I have been detecting for years and never had anything like this happen, and I will now post the boy scout and matchbox stuff that came out of same ground. I think I did find a coin collection, I think I broke the bottles when I was digging, let me be clear these coins (most of them) were not found mixed in dirt or mud, they were in groups of 30-40 with plastic and broken glass jars, coin after coin after coin came out I only had to dig maybe 7-10 total holes on the day.

Last edited:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing your story and those pictures with us........

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. If you say they were found, then, that's what they are, found.

Some believe, some don't. But it's not for us to try to determine.

Congratulations.

OP
OP
C

coinhunter inc.

Apr 16, 2015
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought maybe previous owner had coin collection they left behind, but the matchbox cars, cub scout stuff, they also came out of ground decent, but clearly the coins were in jars, and I do think I broke them up when I was digging because some of these coins are just unreal gorgeous.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
with those hot wheel cars as part of the stash --a time frame can be figgered out -- when where those makes and models made ? --looks like a kid got into a coin colection and made buried treasure "stash" -the cars and scout "tie" neckslide are a tipoff to a young boy :thumbsup:

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with those hot wheel cars as part of the stash --a time frame can be figgered out -- when where those makes and models made ? --looks like a kid got into a coin colection and made buried treasure "stash" -the cars and scout "tie" neckslide are a tipoff to a young boy :thumbsup:

The red car is from the redline series in the early 70's If theres wheels on it they should have a thin red line circling the tire. The exposed engine through hood was what I remembered as a kid IMO the twin engine vette looking fantasy is late 60's

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
S
look, I don't lie and do not collect coins, these coins were found today, I do not care if you believe me or not, they were at 4-6 inches and had glass and some kind of plastic that they were wrapped in, I do not care if you believe me or not but do not call me a liar, I was excited to post this because I have been detecting for years and never had anything like this happen, and I will now post the boy scout and matchbox stuff that came out of same ground. I think I did find a coin collection, I think I broke the bottles when I was digging, let me be clear these coins (most of them) were not found mixed in dirt or mud, they were in groups of 30-40 with plastic and broken glass jars, coin after coin after coin came out I only had to dig maybe 7-10 total holes on the day.

Your original post did not make it clear that you were pulling 50-60 coins (or more) in just 7-8 holes. Your thread title says you found a coin spill, not a cache or multiple caches.

You mentioned tons of glass that caused you to stop hunting but didn't initially say you suspected that you were breaking jars as you dug the coins. If you thought you broke jars or bottles it would have been good to mention it.

There was no mention of plastic in your initial post.

I am not calling you a liar. If you say you found them, ok. Cool. You are a new poster and you may not understand the subtleties of spills vs. caches.

My advice to you for future posts would be to give more details up front so we can better understand the circumstances surrounding your find. It eliminates confusion and minimizes disbelief.

It would also be awesome to see finds like this "in-situ". Even crappy cell phone pictures would be super awesome!

I wish you luck when you go back. You seem to have found a great detecting spot!

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats!
With research a prior youth may turn up as having been a resident.
I buried stuff as a kid ,but the mix of old and foreign coins and money after a while went into a snap top mason jar.
It is still around after four decades plus, kept dry, and the coins and paper are fine..
A lot of coins in your finds. Kept dry and away from soil/fertilizer and air appears to have helped a great deal.

I am not saying this link is accurate to your question on the 1865 but Finland is the origin.

1865-1867 Finland 10 Pennia KM 5.1 Prices & Values | NGC

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be you ruined a seeded hunt for a MD club :laughing7:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other

Coinhunter - if you had provided the complete story including the info you mentioned above, I might have worded my initial response somewhat differently. I assumed they were dug straight from the ground as you didn't say otherwise, and in that case there's absolutely no way they would come out looking like that. So you can see why I had a hard time believing that. And I'll have to admit that I also took under consideration that you're a very new poster here, and we've had a few problems in the past with new people posting stuff they did not dig. With all that said, and since you sound like an honest guy, I retract my earlier statement and apologize if in fact I'm in error on my original assumption.

OP
OP
C

coinhunter inc.

Apr 16, 2015
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no problem Bill, I was so excited that I had a hunt that went off, I never had anything like this happen to me and should of put more details up.....actually I assumed when I mentioned the glass and people saw the pics I thought they would know this was not a coin by coin find, I am just learning the lingo, I am not quite sure the difference between spills, caches, etc....I thought this was called a spill, but it is not from what someone else posted...I do think this was coins in mason jars that someone left behind, everything was dug in one particular area.........thanks for your post and I will try to give more detail in the future....thanks...

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super great find.... I wish I would have found them... The cars are post 1950 at best... It is a collection that was buried after that time.... sweet for you ! Great job!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The blue car on the far right is a TootsieToy... Mercedes 450SL convertible. 1970s vintage.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmmm ... no red nickels :icon_scratch: ok I see these were a collection in a jar
:laughing7: likely a kids pirate treasure.

That's interesting and keep it going
!
Looks like one or two early Hot Wheels as well. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions