Could it be? GW cuff link

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Tnet fans, it's been a long time since I've posted here but today I must. First off it's been forever since I've been out detecting. I want to say I've been out maybe 5 times in the past year and that has got to change. A friend of mine called me yesterday and asked if I wanted to meet up and hit a property he had just gained permission for. I said sure but I had to work till noon or so. I ended up meeting him around 1PM to hunt for only a couple hours, I had to be home by 3:30. I drove out and met him in a field and got to swinging. He was hunting a site that was on the 1930's map but wasn't on the 1880's. I asked him what he had found so far and he said not much, 1 dandy button and some pulltabs. I asked where he found the the button and he pointed a couple hundred yards away from where we were standing. I said why aren't you hunting over there and he said it was quiet and the button was the only target there. I immediately said lets go and give it another shot. We drove over and I got out swinging. Boom!!! Large Tombac button in my pouch. Carried on a few more feet and I looked down and eyeballed my next find. I called him over to take a look at my find before I picked it up. We looked at it and thought oh it's just a cuff button. He starts to walk away and boom he's got a sweet harness boss. I told my friend, hey we're on an old site, hunt hard. I found another Tombac a few minutes later and he started finding Tombac's too. We carried on for about 2 hours and the finds came to a screeching halt. Either the place had been hunted before or the family didn't lose much. I think my bud ended up finding 5 tombacs and the harness boss.

A couple hours later I started cleaning up my finds and when I got to the cuff link my eyes about popped out of my head. I could swear I was looking at George Washington's mug on the face of the cuff button. I cleaned it up a bit more and started to see letters on the rim of the button. All I can make out is "ING" at the 12 o'clock position. So I'm totally pumped about this find and would like to know what people think it actually is. I can't find a GW cuff that looks anything like it. I've got a feeling this thing is rare as hens teeth:laughing7:.

003.jpg 004.jpg

Upvote 15

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is NICE!!!d2

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, but looks like a T at 11 O'clock.

Hmmm... maybe Lieut. Washington

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know about the T Patch, I've studied it till my eyes hurt.
You do see the ING right?

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without straining my eyes on letters, just looking at the bust reminds me more of KGIII than GW, just my thought at first glance.....

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Whether it's KG III or GW it's an amazing find! :occasion14:

Congrats,
Dave

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at this adjusted negative photo, I see other letters around 9ish that do not match LONG LIVE , think I see an S :) fun , huh? :) Might be letters after ING too boot.

Attachments

• HIllbilly cufflinks.jpg
    HIllbilly cufflinks.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 139
  • HIllbilly cufflinks.2.jpg
    HIllbilly cufflinks.2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 116

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at this adjusted negative photo, I see other letters around 9ish that do not match LONG LIVE , think I see an S :) fun , huh? :) Might be letters after ING too boot.

Your old eyes must be better than my old eyes. ;)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if it simply says "The King"

That is a fantastic find! Seems like I have seen other cufflinks with famous people on them--Wellington or Marquis de Lafayette? Pitt?

I have never seen a KG one or a Washington one, so either would be a rare find in my book!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if it simply says "The King"

That is a fantastic find! Seems like I have seen other cufflinks with famous people on them--Wellington or Marquis de Lafayette? Pitt?

I have never seen a KG one or a Washington one, so either would be a rare find in my book!

I think that is likely right, because his nose looks too close to the edge for additional lettering, plus it just doesn't seem to be there anyway... and words before the word "The" would make everything off center. "The King" works perfect.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh heck yeah!, that's legit !!

great finds, that cufflink is off the wall awesome!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like any cuff link buttons as they seem to about 100 times more rare than any metal button, Then add the fact it has something on it adds to it.

So I like it for sure, but here comes the part you won't like, I can see what your calling the "ING" but maybe there is nothing but corrosional illusions there, the "N" looks like a real "N" but the I and G don't really look just right, so maybe there is no lettering at all, I've seen things on ground found copper items before that are just not really there. No offence, and that is just one "opinion" so don't be offended. It may as well be exactly what you originally thought...we'll see.

Good find none the less, and one I'd be happy with, my collection of cuff link buttons is pretty small.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a fantastic find and one that is rarely ever seen. I'm very curious to see if somebody can solve this mystery. I'd be psyched with that find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread