Found this in my mailbox from PCGS today

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
eTrac, Excalibur II, ctx3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a few months back I found a semi key date barber, an 1897O. Only 666,000 were minted in New Orleans. It looked pretty sharp so I took it to a few experts to see if they can spot any flaws. Both guys said it would grade vf so I submitted to pcgs back in March. Today it came back and I'm very pleased with the grade, a VF 35 without any flaws or damage!!! Thanks for looking and HH.
ATTACH]1155064[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430439268.666508.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430439268.666508.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 346
Upvote 13

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. How about a link to the original post ?
If your happy, and I can tell you are, that is all that matters. I personally don't like those plastic coffins, and the hefty price of an "opinion".

Is there an original post for this find ?

OP
OP
Seener53

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I had an original post on facebook when I found it. But facebook closed my account claiming that Seener Fiftythree is not a real person [emoji19]. I got pics of it raw in my 2014 finds album Rick.

OP
OP
Seener53

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few raw pics after it was rinsed under water. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430444245.439542.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430444307.487378.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430444412.040774.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430444469.514857.jpg

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct handling really pays off! If you would have "cleaned" it you would not be as happy as you are now! What do you figure 2 - 400? ish Super Sweet!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the original, and better pics.

This is why I have a problem with paying for an "opinion" PCGS or any other, "LIBERTY" is not visible what so ever on that coin, and at VF35 is very over graded.

Don't believe me check completed listings on E-bay, the "sold" price tells the truth

Here's one described as fine details,

1897 O Fine Details Barber Silver 10C Dime ID DD842 | eBay
much stronger than yours (liberty visible) never sold for 80 bucks, so basically you gave all you coins value to PCGS,
I'll never see the point in that.

And believe me I'm not trying to be brick, I just hate the grading companies, and for these reasons try to talk people out of spending good money on using them. Grading companies SUCK !!!
People who spend any serious money on their collection know how to grade (or they should) and do not need another "opinioin"

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Why don't you just come right out and say how you really feel about it? :tongue3:

This is why I have a problem with paying for an "opinion" PCGS or any other, "LIBERTY" is not visible what so ever on that coin, and at VF35 is very over graded.

Don't believe me check completed listings on E-bay, the "sold" price tells the truth

much stronger than yours (liberty visible) never sold for 80 bucks, so basically you gave all you coins value to PCGS,

And believe me I'm not trying to be brick, I just hate the grading companies, and for these reasons try to talk people out of spending good money on using them. Grading companies SUCK !!!
People who spend any serious money on their collection know how to grade (or they should) and do not need another "opinioin"

OP
OP
Seener53

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Check that listing over Rick, it's a 1916 with visible scratches! In that shape it would get a xf 45 without the scratches. Mine looks better in person than the photos. There is a visible Liberty on mine and the guy at the coin shop offered me $320 for it today. And then he said "you metal detecting guys never sell anything" lol.

OP
OP
Seener53

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct handling really pays off! If you would have "cleaned" it you would not be as happy as you are now! What do you figure 2 - 400? ish Super Sweet!

When I found I literally took about 10 steps from my car. As soon as I found it I put it away in my car [emoji16]. Pcgs lists it at $440.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why don't you just come right out and say how you really feel about it? :tongue3:

I did say exactly what I feel about the find I like it, I don't like grading companies. What are you trying to imply ?

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check that listing over Rick, it's a 1916 with visible scratches! In that shape it would get a xf 45 without the scratches. Mine looks better in person than the photos. There is a visible Liberty on mine and the guy at the coin shop offered me $320 for it today. And then he said "you metal detecting guys never sell anything" lol.

You are exactly right there was a serious error in that ad. And I admit I didn't notice it because it was listed as was listed as 1897 O
I thought your original pic was pretty good, from those I did not see any Liberty, even from the close up of the head. And from that pic you posted F12 is a stretch.
Since you will never sell, it will never be proven.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What this proves, is that dug coins CAN come back graded without "environmental damage" or "scratched." Take note, Tnet. Using the excuse of "it'll come back graded "scratched" anyway" as an excuse to clean, polish, or rock tumble, electrocute, olive oil, ketchup or otherwise destroy your recovered coins is no longer valid!

Cheers,

Buck

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What this proves, is that dug coins CAN come back graded without "environmental damage" or "scratched." Take note, Tnet. Using the excuse of "it'll come back graded "scratched" anyway" as an excuse to clean, polish, or rock tumble, electrocute, olive oil, ketchup or otherwise destroy your recovered coins is no longer valid!

Cheers,

Buck

A frickin MEN!!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cheers,

Buck

I agree 100% that silver coin can come back with a grade, AND without "environmental damage"
Silver pretty much unreactive in soil, definitely be much tougher with a copper, as most have at least "some" degree of corrosion on them.

I liked the "electrocute" the best, yes avoid as bb recomends "polish, or rock tumble, electrocute, olive oil," I personally can't imagine how many people who endorse the olive oil method, contains acid, with virtually no results ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread