May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a little back story for this find . Where I live in Upstate NY the poet Allen Ginsberg stayed for a period of time and I have access to land adjacent to his farm that he frequented in the 60s and 70s . I was doing some research online looking at old maps of the area looking for old homesteads in what now is a large tract of old growth timber . I have permission to hunt the area so as I was turkey hunting today I combined some hunting with a little scouting for cellar holes . I found a small cellar hole this morning and when I was done with my hunt I walked back in with my Etrac and my tools . I was in proximity to the edge of the land that used to be part of the Ginsberg estate and began to scan the outer edges of the area heading toward the cellar hole .
I hadn't gone very far at all when I got a screaming signal on my Etrac . I almost didn't dig it because it was so loud and big I figured a shallow axe head or piece of steel . When I decided to go ahead and dig it (because you never know till you check) this is what I saw 100_0566.JPG Looks like a flat piece of steel . Until I tapped it with my Lesche and it sounded hollow . Now im getting interested and maybe a little excited 8-) . So I put my shovel under the edge of what turned out to be the lid of the can a pried up a little . To my wonderment the top popped off to reveal 100_0567.JPG Sorry no pictures of it open in the hole I yanked it out of the ground so fast my fingers almost spontaneously combusted . The lid and sides had some holes rotted in them so a bunch of dirt had gotten into the tin but I saw SILVER!!!
So with shaking hands I dumped out my prizes and began to get very excited . In all told the tin contained 15 franklin halves . I have never found a half in my life and here I am with 15 of them staring at me . They ranged in age from 1950-1962 . I can only speculate that someone from the Ginsberg farm or commune that was in the area buried these in the late 60s or early 70s because they didn't trust the "establishment" and wanted to save them for a rainy day . And either forgot where they buried them or had some help forgetting by some funny smelling tobacco . They were circulated but didn't look bad just a little dirty and toned . 100_0569.JPG 100_0570.JPG 100_0572.JPG 100_0574.JPG 100_0575.JPG 100_0576.JPG 100_0577.JPG Needless to say I will be back there tomorrow bright and early... turkey hunting will have to wait . You never know there might be more :treasurechest::laughing7:

Upvote 130
OP
OP
46Wheat

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for being there to enjoy my excitement and listen to my story . Its the reason I am part of this big TNET family ... to have someone who understands the obsession we all share to dig dirty pieces of metal out of the ground in the middle of the woods . And to give kind encouragement whether its for a find of a zinc penny and a horseshoe or a gold coin . Thank you all for sharing my great day . (Little bleary eyed and hung over this morning here):occasion14:

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cache, but who cars. I'd take 15 Franklins one at a time and be happy. Banner.

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yepper. A cache for sure. Amazing stack of halves. Congrats!

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is sooooo cool !!! I hope to find just one silver half :) You can go to the store and buy turkey...you can't buy an experience like that. Congratulations

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats the silver cache, now look for the gold - CONGRATS!

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swoopy digging ...i want my tin back

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a Cache alright ! Most metal detectorists will never find one - Obviously the Franklin half dollars are neither really old or
really valuable - but the rarity of digging a cache of 15 large silvers makes this a Banner find in my estimation !

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lots of people use the term 'cache' to describe a multi-coin find such as a spill, but what you have found is the true definition of a cache. that is outstanding! congrats

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! A cache! Congrats!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job on digging that up! What a thrill, that's a beautiful cache!

Ed (Upstate NY)

Aug 19, 2007
New York's Capital Region
Detector(s) used
New for 2023 Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus. Minelab Explorers SE Pro & XS, Whites 6000 Di Pro, DFX & Beach Hunter, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After 28 years of detecting, I have yet to find a Franklin half. I have Barbers, Walkers and silver Kennedys but can't seem to locate Mr. Franklin. If you could slip one of those into my back yard, I would appreciate it ! Great find. Banner for sure !

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cache
noun

a collection of items of the same type stored in a hidden or inaccessible place. Yes, I would call that a cache, a cache of coins, a cache of silver coins, a cache of silver Franklin Half dollar coins. And buried in a container, so NOT a spill.......YES a cache......thanks for the great story and pictures.......Good Luck on your next cache!!

HH
    Bill

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a CACHE

OP
OP
46Wheat

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 28 years of detecting, I have yet to find a Franklin half. I have Barbers, Walkers and silver Kennedys but can't seem to locate Mr. Franklin. If you could slip one of those into my back yard, I would appreciate it ! Great find. Banner for sure !
Im not to far down the road from you so I might be able to throw one into your yard :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions