May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a little back story for this find . Where I live in Upstate NY the poet Allen Ginsberg stayed for a period of time and I have access to land adjacent to his farm that he frequented in the 60s and 70s . I was doing some research online looking at old maps of the area looking for old homesteads in what now is a large tract of old growth timber . I have permission to hunt the area so as I was turkey hunting today I combined some hunting with a little scouting for cellar holes . I found a small cellar hole this morning and when I was done with my hunt I walked back in with my Etrac and my tools . I was in proximity to the edge of the land that used to be part of the Ginsberg estate and began to scan the outer edges of the area heading toward the cellar hole .
I hadn't gone very far at all when I got a screaming signal on my Etrac . I almost didn't dig it because it was so loud and big I figured a shallow axe head or piece of steel . When I decided to go ahead and dig it (because you never know till you check) this is what I saw 100_0566.JPG Looks like a flat piece of steel . Until I tapped it with my Lesche and it sounded hollow . Now im getting interested and maybe a little excited 8-) . So I put my shovel under the edge of what turned out to be the lid of the can a pried up a little . To my wonderment the top popped off to reveal 100_0567.JPG Sorry no pictures of it open in the hole I yanked it out of the ground so fast my fingers almost spontaneously combusted . The lid and sides had some holes rotted in them so a bunch of dirt had gotten into the tin but I saw SILVER!!!
So with shaking hands I dumped out my prizes and began to get very excited . In all told the tin contained 15 franklin halves . I have never found a half in my life and here I am with 15 of them staring at me . They ranged in age from 1950-1962 . I can only speculate that someone from the Ginsberg farm or commune that was in the area buried these in the late 60s or early 70s because they didn't trust the "establishment" and wanted to save them for a rainy day . And either forgot where they buried them or had some help forgetting by some funny smelling tobacco . They were circulated but didn't look bad just a little dirty and toned . 100_0569.JPG 100_0570.JPG 100_0572.JPG 100_0574.JPG 100_0575.JPG 100_0576.JPG 100_0577.JPG Needless to say I will be back there tomorrow bright and early... turkey hunting will have to wait . You never know there might be more :treasurechest::laughing7:

Upvote 130

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woooowww.... Thats a day that you will never forget! Congrats and thanks for sharing your story with us!! :thumbsup:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That was an outstanding cache recovery by the non cachee.

Congrats! A delightful find.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't believe I forgot were I buried those thanks lol (very very nice) congrats on a great day

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bet you are glad you dug!! :hello2: That is a Cache in my book!! Awesome find!!8-)

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find. Still looking for my first silver half dollar. Well done! :thumbsup:

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a super awesome find. Good on ya and congratulations.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh that's a cache alright! Congrats!

Now I figure if the amount of coins I found in the coinstar machine today might qualify. ;)

tmosc

Mar 25, 2015
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So very cool ! I'm hoping my day will come. Congrats !

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cache by any standards. Congrats.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! You can call that anything you want, I call it Awesome!!

A find of a life time, Congrats man!!

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and great story. congrats!

richardson

Jan 8, 2014
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus;
Nokta Makro Anfibio;
Garrett AT Pro;
Tesoro Vaquero;
Fisher F5;
Whites Eagle Spectrum - Started it all
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AWESOME finds!! I couldn't even imagine finding something that great. Also, beautiful pics as well. Congrats 100 times over

GoGoGopher

Jun 24, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac - 11" Pro, 6" EQ2 coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was gonna recover my Silver....Then I got high....

Great recovery!

HH,

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job finding that cache !!! :occasion14: This is what we all go out trying to find everyday ! Something exciting in the soil from under our coil ! :treasurechest:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread