And now for something completely different

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after a long and brutal winter I finally got in the water for a dive. This was the first year since 1990 that we haven't been able to get in the water during the winter. Anyway enough wining, 4 of us got out today for a bottle dive and we did really well.
Among the finds that we got up were an intact feathered edge plate, most likely from the 19th cent.
20150503_124442.jpg

A nice Ginger bear
P1050763.JPG

A beauty of a clay pipe, (one of my finds)
P1050777.JPG

A "Dr. Cumming's Vegetine" bottle ( 1870s - 1900, a blood purifier)
20150503_124455.jpg

And some other great little do-dads including some 50 Cal. casings.
20150503_124536.jpg 20150503_124511.jpg 20150503_124659.jpg

HH everyone,
ZDD

Last edited:
Upvote 22
OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a very productive dive Dave. I know it felt good to get back in the water. BTW - what kind of site are you diving at? And why so many whole plates. That just seems a bit unusual to me, but what do I know???
Thanks Bill, this harbor has been giving up treasures since the 60's when sport diving started to become popular in this area. We (The Zodiac Divers) have been hitting it since 1990, some of our buddies have been bottle diving here long before that too. The harbor has been a busy seaport since 1749 and before that the french used it from time to time and before that the Portuguese used it as a summer fishing area since the 1500s. That is why a few of the guys have managed to pull up olive jars from here.
View attachment 1156988 View attachment 1156989 View attachment 1156990

We find allot of plates here, mostly from steam ship companies, I guess that passengers just tossed them overboard. The other civilian plates are just lost over the side I imagine. Harbors like Boston and NY would have tons of artifacts, the hard part is getting permission to dive there and finding areas that are not too covered in silt.
I would love to come to Virginia and dive your area sometime. I am sure I would surprise you with what we could find.

ZDD

Last edited:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Dave. Is 60 feet considered deep for relic hunting or do you usually go deeper. The guys around here only go down 45 feet max I think. I would love to do t during the summer but everyone I talk to says it's dangerous. Is it?

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Bill, this harbor has been giving up treasures since the 60's when sport diving started to become popular in this area. We (The Zodiac Divers) have been hitting it since 1990, some of our buddies have been bottle diving here long before that too. The harbor has been a busy seaport since 1749 and before that the french used it from time to time and before that the Portuguese used it as a summer fishing area since the 1500s. That is why a few of the guys have managed to pull up olive jars from here.
View attachment 1156988 View attachment 1156989 View attachment 1156990

We find allot of plates here, mostly from steam ship companies, I guess that passengers just tossed them overboard. The other civilian plates are just lost over the side I imagine. Harbors like Boston and NY would have tons of artifacts, the hard part is getting permission to dive there and finding areas that are not too covered in silt.
I would love to come to Virginia and dive your area sometime. I am sure I would surprise you with what we could find.

ZDD

Thanks for the info Dave. Yeah, I bet you guys could clean up in some of the waterways down here, but not sure what the laws will permit. I know of some folks who've gotten in big trouble diving in some of the local rivers, but I think they were hitting some of the historical sites which were probably off limits. I know a load of black glass wine bottles were recovered just off the beach at Yorktown a numbers of years ago from a British Rev War ship, and I'm sure there's plenty to be found in the vicinity of that wreck, but I have the feeling the entire area is off limits. Check out the excerpt below from Hume's book "All the Best Rubbish".

yorktown bottles.jpg

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Dave. Is 60 feet considered deep for relic hunting or do you usually go deeper. The guys around here only go down 45 feet max I think. I would love to do t during the summer but everyone I talk to says it's dangerous. Is it?

Treasure hunting while diving combines two great hobbies and makes diving even more fun. I think most inland lake divers usually are hunting 20-30 ft or less which is pretty shallow. The absolute most important thing is to get proper dive training with a dive instructor before scuba diving. The things you learn may someday save your life or the life of your dive buddy. A simple problem can quickly snowball into a huge problem if you don't know what to do immediately. Proper training will help you keep your cool to work through an issue and be on your way.

curiousmind

Nov 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after a long and brutal winter I finally got in the water for a dive. This was the first year since 1990 that we haven't been able to get in the water during the winter. Anyway enough wining, 4 of us got out today for a bottle dive and we did really well.
Among the finds that we got up were an intact feathered edge plate, most likely from the 19th cent.
View attachment 1156585

A nice Ginger bear
View attachment 1156587

A beauty of a clay pipe, (one of my finds)
View attachment 1156588

A "Dr. Cumming's Vegetine" bottle ( 1870s - 1900, a blood purifier)
View attachment 1156590

And some other great little do-dads including some 50 Cal. casings.
View attachment 1156593 View attachment 1156594 View attachment 1156595

HH everyone,
ZDD

Hi, I just hope I'm not too late for this. Anyway, you've got a very useful finds. You can recycle those things then make something new and earn.

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Joey, 60 ft is about average for relic hunting in the Halifax harbour but we have some spots that are 15 ft or less. There are a few areas we go that run down to 95 ft but the deeper you go the less bottom time you get. The type of diving we do can be a little tricky so we take all necessary precautions. We dive solo but have a surface tender in a boat that is monitoring our surface buoy. He can also use it to signal us to come up if need be. We all dive with a back up air source encase our primary craps out, so with all that we feel quite safe down there. (no gators or sharks to worry about either)
ZDD

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Dave. Yeah, I bet you guys could clean up in some of the waterways down here, but not sure what the laws will permit. I know of some folks who've gotten in big trouble diving in some of the local rivers, but I think they were hitting some of the historical sites which were probably off limits. I know a load of black glass wine bottles were recovered just off the beach at Yorktown a numbers of years ago from a British Rev War ship, and I'm sure there's plenty to be found in the vicinity of that wreck, but I have the feeling the entire area is off limits. Check out the excerpt below from Hume's book "All the Best Rubbish".

View attachment 1157174
Thanks for the insight on the book Bill, I am going to have to track that one down. Interesting they mention one with old beer still in it. one of our buddies found one from the 1800s with the beer still in it, he left it on it's side so the cork wouldn't dry out but the pressure inside it finally popped the cork one night and stunk his place up bad. We have also recovered full bottles of wine from shipwrecks but none of us are willing to sample the contents, so I can speak to the quality of the wine.
ZDD

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master gt..ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To hell with the pipe love the ginger and what appears to be a stone bitters

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master gt..ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I just hope I'm not too late for this. Anyway, you've got a very useful finds. You can recycle those things then make something new and earn.

Surely your not talking about the bottles..?? :BangHead: you be insane to do that..inho

Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on your finds Dave! :occasion14:

The blue & white plate with the anchor would've been amazing if it was complete, thankfully the clay pipe wasn't broken! :thumbsup:

Best of luck to you,
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread