ANOTHER FIND-OF-A-LIFETIME: RARE New Orleans Token, BIG SILVER & FOUR MORE silvers!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANOTHER FIND-OF-A-LIFETIME: RARE New Orleans Token, BIG SILVER & FOUR MORE silvers!

Hello All,

This will be a weekend that I can never forget. I dug something really good today--something that easily beats my earlier banner find from spring! UPDATE BELOW!

Here is how the day went down:

Early in the morning I got out in the muddy soupy nasty fields with Shanegalang and we decided to go and try to scout out a new site. Walked out in that messy soup and the first thing I dug was a silver half dollar! Now I've dug a couple of Walkers in the fields, and one Franklin (all farmer drops), and I've been lucky enough to dig a couple of Seated Halves too. But it turned out that this one was a Barber Half. I was really thrilled because the last Barber Half I dug was back in 1993!! This one is an 1895-O.

HPIM5194.JPG HPIM5199.JPG HPIM5197.JPG

For all you Yankees, here is a picture of a Crawfish High-Rise. 8-)

HPIM5201.JPG

We started exploiting a nice sized iron patch, and I walked way out of the iron just to be certain and turned back around. No sooner than I did and I got an 83 reading on the F75. It was a silver quarter! :headbang: Praying for a Seated but it was a Washington. 1942.

HPIM5204.JPG

We kept hitting the field, digging a good many targets--just not many GOOD targets. I got a wheat. He got a handle from a silver spoon, then I dug the bowl which I gave to him. I got an 1888 Indian and some parasol clips. So we migrated to another site that would be much more dry due to elevated rows instead of muddy flat swamp. We'd worn ourselves out from four hours slogging through the mud! On the second site, we started digging some flat buttons right away. Then I managed to get a couple spur pieces (strap box, neck, side, and half of the piece where the rowel went). Feeling pleased, I noticed two eyeball finds in a row. The first was a green trade bead and the second was a sword hanger, both laying right on top of the ground.

HPIM5207.JPG HPIM5208.JPG

When I rounded the next row I got a signal that could either be a copper pack rivet or a half dime. Opening up the hole, a tiny silver stared back at me! It was an 1842 Quarter Franc!! My buddy dug one of these earlier in the spring on a different site, and I was STOKED to get one for my collection! :thumbsup:

HPIM5206.JPG

I also dug a flat piece of nondescript silver. No clue what that's from, but it will go in the collection.

At that point, Shangalang decided to takes his XP Deus and head home. He was worn out, and I was too--but I just couldn't leave. Within an hour, I heard a beep and instinctively stuck my shovel in the ground. When I looked down, I realized that there was a half dime sitting right on top! 1857 Seated Half Dime! That was silver #4 for the day!

HPIM5210.JPG

At that point, I decided that I would take breaks as needed and just hunt until dark. Quite a long day, when we were out there at first light!

Here is a photo of the finds up to that point in the hunt:

HPIM5217.JPG

I got into an interesting area where there were some great signs of habitation, and I dug a large cent sized disc. It only read 60 on the F75 so I knew it wasn't a copper. Thinking it might be a token, I put it in my pouch to inspect at home.

Token in hand.png

I dug a thimble or two, a couple flat buttons and eyeballed some bone buttons and shards of nice china. Targets were really thin. Then I got a screamer signal which locked right in at 82 on the F75. I just knew it had to be a silver quarter. And--it was! Silver #5!! That put the silver total at $1.10 face value in old silver in one day! :hello2:

HPIM5212.JPG HPIM5216.JPG

At that point, the light started fading, and seeing as how I'd dug so many great finds--including the mystery of the brass token which I was curious to investigate, I headed home.

Well...when I got home, and started carefully cleaning the brass disc, immediately a date of 1834 came into view!!! Turns out the token is a Hard Times Token from New Orleans, advertising the store of J. Hall Walker & Walton, listed as Ruhlau HT-121!!!

Judging from the auction listings, this token is one of my best finds ever. Only four of these tokens have come to auction in the last 100 years. Here is a link to a Stacks auction heading where the finest known example of those four brought over $40,000.00.

Stack's : Louisiana. New Orleans. J. Hall Walker & Walton. 1834. Low-85, Rulau HT-121. (AN86415399)

stacks auction.png

Here is the auction listing from the "barely legible" example of the four--which still sold for over $8,000.00!! :headbang:

Stack's : Louisiana. New Orleans. J. Hall Walker & Walton. 1834. Low-85, Rulau HT-121. (AN69131209)

stacks auction2.png

UPDATE: I just heard back from John K that this find is worth in the $5,000.00 range!

So although I think that the word "Rare" is overly used and abused on treasure hunting forums, it appears that in this case the word applies! When I dug my second counterstamped Planter's Bank silver coin here, I thought that I'd dug two finds-of-a-lifetime, in one lifetime! Well, I hope that the luck/hard work/effort keeps going, because I am happy to roll with it!

Here are photos of all the silver coin finds:

HPIM5219.JPG HPIM5220.JPG

HPIM5225.JPG HPIM5226.JPG

HPIM5221.JPG HPIM5222.JPG

HPIM5223.JPG HPIM5224.JPG

barber obv.JPG barber rev.JPG

And here are photos of the token I dug, as well as a non-dug example from online:

token obv.JPG J Hall Walker & Walton Obv.png

token rev.JPG J Hall Walker & Walton Rev.png

Best Wishes and HH,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 62
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man BB, that is a great hunt right there!, at first I thought your one silver coin was in the "crawfish highrise" lol I had to take a second look. Very cool silvers you got, I like the 1/4 franc, and the half is great! Very cool identification of that new Orleans token, cleaned up well! all in all, a spectacular hunt, look forward to your next post!

I'd love to dig a silver coin named "crawfish highrise" :D Thx for the reply, my friend.

Happy Hunting,

Buck

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man! Atta-Boy, Buck! I am thrilled for you. It does not get much better. Banner!

Kirk

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man! Atta-Boy, Buck! I am thrilled for you. It does not get much better. Banner!

Kirk

Thanks for the nomination, Kirk! And again, it's SO good to see you back on the forum!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buckle a BIG CONGRATS on the Token, it is real cool indeed and a Banner find for sure. Of course you had a great overall day with the other finds as well :thumbsup:

I left the fields thinking that the silver coins were the cake and the other relics and token were the icing--but it was the other way around. Thanks for the banner nomination, my friend!

-Buck

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great site you have there Buckle, that 1/4 Franc is awesome to me just by itself and I know how rare the barber half-dollars are also, I've found one of those so far in 30 + years of detecting. I really don't know much on those tokens guess its time to do some reading, haven't found any tokens to speak of out here lately. Still looking for my first Seated Half-Dime also :laughing7: Got one Seated dime at last around 3 years ago. I'm not giving up by any means on finding the goodies yet! Congrats on that great hunt, bet we will see that token up on top soon :occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great site you have there Buckle, that 1/4 Franc is awesome to me just by itself and I know how rare the barber half-dollars are also, I've found one of those so far in 30 + years of detecting. I really don't know much on those tokens guess its time to do some reading, haven't found any tokens to speak of out here lately. Still looking for my first Seated Half-Dime also :laughing7: Got one Seated dime at last around 3 years ago. I'm not giving up by any means on finding the goodies yet! Congrats on that great hunt, bet we will see that token up on top soon :occasion14:

At that price tag, I hope the token makes it up top too. Will take some banner votes for it to make it though. Yes, those Barbers are scarce. I've actually dug more Seated Halves than Barber Halves over the years, but I think that's because I have always gone for the antebellum sites. It's funny what we find/don't find. I was looking for a Barber Quarter for 22 years, then once I dug the first one I've dug a couple more in the past year!

Cheers,

Buck

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great day in the cane fields! I am amazed that a token could sell for $40,000.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy! I know finding silver isn't anything new to you guys, and you proved that correct yesterday ; I especially like the 1/4 franc!

But when you strike a copper it's something entirely different! I know that 'lifetime' finds isn't something to throw around loosely, but you earned the right!

Your collection is starting to stack up as one of the great ones!

Local obscure tokens is where it's at! If there's going to be big buck finds anywhere, that's the source, it's happened to you on several occasions , and it's happened to me as well, congratulations on your historic journey through time!

Was thinking one day We will see at Auction "The BuckleBoy Collection" For Real!!

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Buck. I wouldn't be able to sleep either. Should be Banner for sure.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Damn Buck! A can clearly say, without hesitation, Banner baby!!!!!! Amazing

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What can I say BB ----WOW!
So much I want to say , But First Looks can be deceiving ,as with your rare Token GOLD is not always the color Gold.
It's always Good when your Barbers less wear than a 1942 Washington Quarter, 'another Quarter-:headbang:' The Sweet Barber Half -:headbang::headbang:. Love the other coins as well but I have an attraction To early to Mid series Barbers in F+ Condition. 1916 works To.

I'm also one of those guy's that finds it hard to leave a Site , Many times hunting until dark .
Are you like me (your feet hurt the most at the end of the Day)?
& That Sunburn will def, get you in those fields, as I found out this past week .
Now I,m a true Red Neck. lol
Congratz on The Banner Day.
Again WOW!!!
Davers:thumbsup:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What can I say BB ----WOW!
So much I want to say , But First Looks can be deceiving ,as with your rare Token GOLD is not always the color Gold.
It's always Good when your Barbers less wear than a 1942 Washington Quarter, 'another Quarter-:headbang:' The Sweet Barber Half -:headbang::headbang:. Love the other coins as well but I have an attraction To early to Mid series Barbers in F+ Condition. 1916 works To.

I'm also one of those guy's that finds it hard to leave a Site , Many times hunting until dark .
Are you like me (your feet hurt the most at the end of the Day)?
& That Sunburn will def, get you in those fields, as I found out this past week .
Now I,m a true Red Neck. lol
Congratz on The Banner Day.
Again WOW!!!
Davers:thumbsup:

So true, my friend. Hurting the most at the end of the day and pushing just a little harder to find a couple more keepers. Made it out there and not willing to leave quickly. Sunburn and skeeters/gnats. Thirsty in the heat. That's pretty much the life. But it's SO worth it! Best hobby in the world! Thanks for the banner vote, my friend!

Cheers,

Buck

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Incredible find. BANNER!! I'm voting now. You have been on an incredible run of luck in the last 6 months. I'm speechless Will. Congrats, Q.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holey moley what a hunt! The value of the token astonishes me, but considering the rarity and truly fascinating array of goods advertised (millstones and pistols advertised on the same token, lol) I guess I've gotta believe it. The silvers are good as always, and the trade bead was a very nice eyeball find. Great work!

jharboldt

Nov 15, 2013
Wow! Very nice finds. It's always a good day when silver pops out, but a GREAT day when you rescue something historic. BANNER all day in my book! Thanks for sharing! May your streak continue!

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome day for you! Congrats on hanging tough and sticking it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread