Shoe Buckle #10, an interesting button(date range help appreciated)

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a place that I pounded at the end of last summer. I hit this small colonial area in disc, all metal and from every direction several times. I almost didn't go because I figured there was zero chance of a find. But I wanted to see if the frost moved anything around and also if the nice moist ground would help. I was psyched when I dug a deep colonial button. Then I was really surprised when I dug a couple more. Then I got a super deep signal. Like 14" deep. Dug down to China andulled out a very nice shoe buckle. Thick and solid with a nice arch. Hard to see but all around the inside and outside has a reeder edge (for lack of a better term). I'm amazed that this is my 10th in less than 2 years. Some are complete and others had the guts in the hole but weren't attached. Others are just frames. I love shoe buckles and think they're such a cool and unique relic from the colonial period. I put them all together for a pic. Love to find a silver one some day. I also found what I thought was a blowhole button but no hole. Wondering if anybody knows a date range on these.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 15
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you could add another specimen to your ever-growing collection of colonial buckles Abe. Your newest one is obviously a nice heavy shoe buckle, and based on its size I have to say it dates to the mid-to-late 1700s time frame. Hope your next one is a killer 17th century example.
Thanks Bill. I'm glad I really love shoe buckles lol. Be pretty annoying if I didnt. I too am hoping that by the end of the week I have an early buckle to add....heck I'd settle for a measly Mass silver or a few cobs. I'm not greedy 8-)

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Abe real nice digs, got love those Buckles, I know I do. Keep on keeping on :thumbsup:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice Abe. The shoe buckle frame is sweet! GL&HH.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice one Abster:headbang:

Not a bad collection considering the amount of time..

~Blaze~

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ahab you weren't by chance a cobbler in another time were you ,damn nice collection you have there,vanzutphen

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe..
That collection it awsome. .
Boy i will kill to find a whole one..
Sorry i missed this post..

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahab you weren't by chance a cobbler in another time were you ,damn nice collection you have there,vanzutphen

Funny you say that because one of my ancestors that landed in this area was a traveling cobbler. I always wonder if he worked on a pair of shoes that was attached to one of these buckles.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe..
That collection it awsome. .
Boy i will kill to find a whole one..
Sorry i missed this post..

Thanks buddy. Sorry I missed all of your good news. This sunburn caused me to fell asleep very early. That's why I've been up since 4 lol

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your 10th shoe buckle frame Abe! :occasion14:

I love the brass lock plate escutcheon too. :thumbsup:

Dave

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Congrats! Looks like winter worked out for you!

Some guy in China is going to be very unhappy with you! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. Yes Ms Beep I had to contact the Chinese govt to get permission to recover that shoe buckle lol

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great hunt, especially from a pounded site!:) Thats a nice assortment of buckles, I love finding them myself...

ForumRunner_20150506_170622.png

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That buckle is huge. If I wasn't out in the woods about 2 miles, I would have thought that was a buried can. I think because of the size, it went on the top of a boot

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
That's a sweet buckle Abe, one of my favorite things to find. Keep hitting that site, coins are sure to follow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread