AT Pro Nails 1855 Half Cent at 8"

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1855 half cent. Kinda trashed. Just feels good to be back out there after a long winter. Rang in as a solid 85 for all you AT Pro guys out there. It's about a nickel sized copper. Beautiful coin. Found it where Knox camped while bringing cannons to Washington at Bunker Hill. Obviously this coin was after his time, just a great location though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    693.6 KB · Views: 288
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    592.5 KB · Views: 341
Upvote 18
OP
OP
Chestdiesel

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
J. Cache. Yeah the iron audio definitely helps, unless you're in rusty trash areas. Which I am a lot. Then everything gives the iron grunt, including silver coins. That's why I missed the barber quarter, and the seated dime. They both sounded like bottle caps, with the iron audio on. They were too close to iron trash to differentiate. The E Trac nailed them no problem though. How do you like the Deus?? I've heard incredible things??

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like the ATPro, it did wonders for me for four years. However, last year at this time I was at 2 silver coins. This year I'm at 18 silver coins with the DEUS...many from areas I had already detected with the ATPro. I'm still learning the DEUS, but I LOVE it! I have dug many bottle caps with it, but I'm getting it figured out. What the hell, might as well dig them and get rid of them, besides you never know right?

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a few machines over the past 10 years. E-Trac the past 4 years. I have had go go back over large sites with it to find what I missed in the past. Bought my son the AT-Pro for X-Mas. So far I am very impressed. He keeps up with us no problem and sometimes has done better when I added the smaller coil to it. Thinking about buying one myself to add to the arsenal!!!!!!

Nice half cent find! We don't see too many of those out our way.

OP
OP
Chestdiesel

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
J cache damn!! 18 is a big jump, especially just going over previous areas!! I might have to really look at the Deus long and hard. I have a bad back, and heard they're ultra light. Anyways, cheers, keep killing it brother.

OP
OP
Chestdiesel

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Basque-man it couldn't hurt having both, especially if you ever want to do some water hunts with the boy. Was definitely excited when I saw it was a Half Cent. Only 60k minted that year. Would think it would be more valuable with such a low mintage, but what can you do? Anyways, HH brother.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem is the wife starts asking questions when all the large boxes arrived at the house. I agree though; the reason for another AT-Pro is using it in the water. We have a trip planned the end of July to spend 3 days in Boston and 7 days on Martha's Vineyard. Of course the girls will be in the city and beach while my son and I are in the parks, forest or any other place we can find at least "one" largie!!!!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Pro Custom Mode, with 1-40 notched out. The iron audio function helps a lot with bottle caps, unless you're in an area with a lot of iron trash, which seems to be typical. Then it's pretty much useless, and you have to dig bottle caps. Beyond frustrating. I missed a Barber Quarter (1909), and a Carson City Seated Liberty Dime (1875), because I was in an area with a lot of Iron trash. My buddy with his E Trac nailed them no problem. I was so pissed. I literally went over the Barber Quarter 3 times.

Yeah I think there is no such thing as a perfect detector they all have their strengths /weaknesses, that is why I own several different detectors / brands.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find there was only 56,500 made in Philadelphia that year. Thanks for the vdi number too as a fellow ATP user!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the Half Cent recovery! I love the old copper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread