Family owned finds!

Dirtslinger

Apr 6, 2013
Western Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000 w/NEL SS, Nokta Impact, Garrett Treasure Ace 300, Minelab Equinox 800, White's Coinmaster 4/DB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the lifetime find. It was a small cache of easily the best discovery I've had the pleasure of finding. Family ties, so the sentimental value FAR outweighs any financial value. I honestly haven't even looked up any numismatic guides yet. Since these were owned by my grandfather and apparently left for the treasure hunter grandson or his treasure hunting daughter, the excitement level was sky high. Tears, laughter and now the stories of it are exactly what was planted. There has to be more, since this is just one of the things he had mentioned when I was just a tiny little explorer. Now that I see some truth to the stories, I can't even imagine what else is to be discovered. The stories and my imagination have always gotten me excited about stuff just like this. I wasn't born a hunter, I was formed into one. I come from a long line of fibbers, with an ounce of truth to each and every story. My grandpa was the the most entertaining person I ever met. He could tell a story with so much enthusiasm it would make my feeble little brain spin on it's stem. He knew what all of his family loved and he catered to it with the personal touches that made ALL of us feel like we were the most important people on the planet without undermining anyone else's value. I don't know how he did that, but he sure did it with me and the conversations we had all weekend made us realize this. He may not be here to laugh with us, but we all have him in us. Our sense of humor, our treatment of others and a drive to be like him is the one bond we all have, no matter how much we realize it. He was the glue that held us tight, and as he drifts from our fresh memories, we too drift apart, but I know that planting memories just like these, he knew the harvest of happiness was bound to happen to one of us, and just like always, he was right.

Attachments

• Treasure.jpg
    Treasure.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 302
Upvote 20

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great post, congrats on the found trewasures and good luck in locating them all. :thumbsup:

compañero

Greenie
Feb 15, 2015
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Probably one of my favorite posts Ive had the pleasure of reading here! This is the main reason I got into the hobby, for family history. Later this week I am hunting the homestead of my Great great great great grandfather. It has been a long time in the making to get on there and I am beyond excited at the prospect of what I could find. I know I will feel the same excitement and emotion you did!

Max Smith

May 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice morgan dollar!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very good show. Congrats!

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post. We should all strive to be like your grandfather.

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a fantastic story. Your grandpa must have been a super person to affect your family's lives this way.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There must be a significance of "$1.26" to the whole story. Solve the mystery and see what else Gramps buried in the yard for you! Cool story, Sub 8-)

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful post .... ty

OP
OP
D

Dirtslinger

Apr 6, 2013
Western Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000 w/NEL SS, Nokta Impact, Garrett Treasure Ace 300, Minelab Equinox 800, White's Coinmaster 4/DB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably one of my favorite posts Ive had the pleasure of reading here! This is the main reason I got into the hobby, for family history. Later this week I am hunting the homestead of my Great great great great grandfather. It has been a long time in the making to get on there and I am beyond excited at the prospect of what I could find. I know I will feel the same excitement and emotion you did!

Thank you! I wish you nothing but the happiest of hunting on this journey! No matter what you discover, it's much more than money! That sounds like a whole lot of work to make that one happen. Mine was just a matter of determination. This was two years of intermittent searching and never giving up. Now, ill probably search this thing until I'm too darned old to do it anymore. The guy sure knew a lot about making memories. If I can do half of what he managed to do, I'll be in some amazing company. Good luck and cherish it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dirtslinger

Apr 6, 2013
Western Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There must be a significance of "$1.26" to the whole story. Solve the mystery and see what else Gramps buried in the yard for you! Cool story, Sub 8-)

Yes. I have been mulling that over and over...

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your granddad is still making memories for you even now

OP
OP
D

Dirtslinger

Apr 6, 2013
Western Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He sure is. All in his calm, easy effortless demeanor. His smile was huge on Saturday. I could feel it.

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and great description of a very special person!...Brad

SW Iowa Digger

Apr 12, 2015
Iowa
Detector(s) used