🥇 BANNER Henry VIII Testoon

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
The word rare tends to get a little over used. I have though never found one of these coins. Or known anybody that as. It's a Testoon of Henry VIII, third coinage 1544-7, it's extremely dabased silver, Spink 2364. as to value, I will happily spend a couple of hundred pounds, having the coin professionally cleaned. I found the coin after digging several shot gun cartridge brass ends . The signal just sounded like another one. The other picture is a 17th century clothing fastener. Had a couple of these recently. Got to resist the urge, to try and clean the coin myself. Could be a very expensive mistake.:laughing7:

Attachments

• IMG_6364.JPG
    IMG_6364.JPG
    536.7 KB · Views: 768
  • IMG_6365.JPG
    IMG_6365.JPG
    678.7 KB · Views: 443
Upvote 39

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your extremely rare coin! Banner!

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
2015 - Books at VF £7500! WOW
Cheers Cru, won't make anything like that due to the debasment, still very pleased with it though. Got to be my rarest hammered in 30 years. Strange hobby, just hitting shot gun butts, then this. I nearly moved area, before finding it.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The debasement of this coin may actually add to its value since it was not a generally accepted coin and therefore probably quickly discarded in some way. More important is your coin appears to be full, round, not clipped nor shaved; features that add to its rarity. No doubt it's a Bristol coin; which variety is keeping my attention.
Don....

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like a fantastic find to me, I in...voting banner. Please keep us posted, post cleaning.
ZDD

fat fred

Apr 23, 2012
savannah ga
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Banner me too -- bloody shotgun shells!! Outstanding find -- congratulations!!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow :occasion14: on :metaldetector: that who would have thought such a super rare hammered would turn up instead of those pesky "Shells" :BangHead: I've even had them mask silver coins from making a signal before at times !!! Looking forwards to seeing the "Clean" version :coffee2: Need to read up on those hammered coins more still but will have to wait till next metered data period , am on the bleeding edge right now sadly.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't understand the whole Banner thing but I hope this one makes it. Like many have said already, please post a post-cleaning picture for us drooling and envious t-netters.

Congrats

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheers Cru, won't make anything like that due to the debasment, still very pleased with it though. Got to be my rarest hammered in 30 years. Strange hobby, just hitting shot gun butts, then this. I nearly moved area, before finding it.

I know. Lots of bad areas have produced some of my finest finds!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I believe you will find this coin exceptionally rare, for a couple of reasons. (1) At least three times during the period April 1548 to May 1549, the government decreed testoons must be withdrawn from circulation. (2) All these debased testoons 'surrendered' would be replaced with coins of full value--so who would want to keep them.
"Bristolie' is the extremely rare variety and of the later issue; but either variety will still be of exceptional value.
Don...
'

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
I believe you will find this coin exceptionally rare, for a couple of reasons. (1) At least three times during the period April 1548 to May 1549, the government decreed testoons must be withdrawn from circulation. (2) All these debased testoons 'surrendered' would be replaced with coins of full value--so who would want to keep them.
"Bristolie' is the extremely rare variety and of the later issue; but either variety will still be of exceptional value.
Don...
'
Many thanks Don for the info, very much appreciated:thumbsup:. I sent a picture to an auction house. They say for it's type, it's not bad. They will clean it for only £20 including tax. They want to auction it also. Robert.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
I know. Lots of bad areas have produced some of my finest finds!
Just been back Cru. Not far away from where I found the testoon, got a cracking signal, dug it, and there in the soil, the outline of a copper looking coin. Heart pounding, I gently removed the soil, and, a 1940 half penny.:laughing7:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on making it up with the rare find Robert.:occasion14:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010