🥇 BANNER Henry VIII Testoon

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
The word rare tends to get a little over used. I have though never found one of these coins. Or known anybody that as. It's a Testoon of Henry VIII, third coinage 1544-7, it's extremely dabased silver, Spink 2364. as to value, I will happily spend a couple of hundred pounds, having the coin professionally cleaned. I found the coin after digging several shot gun cartridge brass ends . The signal just sounded like another one. The other picture is a 17th century clothing fastener. Had a couple of these recently. Got to resist the urge, to try and clean the coin myself. Could be a very expensive mistake.:laughing7:

Attachments

• IMG_6364.JPG
    IMG_6364.JPG
    536.7 KB · Views: 768
  • IMG_6365.JPG
    IMG_6365.JPG
    678.7 KB · Views: 443
Upvote 39

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love to see it cleaned up. Ya know, you never cease to amaze me just how much good stuff you bring to light, thanks.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THATS A BEAUTY !!:thumbsup:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Never even heard of a testoon, but that must be a great find even for the UK. And that must really be extremely debased silver like you said as based on the pic I'd swear it was a copper. Good luck with the cleaning.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Never even heard of a testoon, but that must be a great find even for the UK. And that must really be extremely debased silver like you said as based on the pic I'd swear it was a copper. Good luck with the cleaning.
Cheers Bill, it must be right at the end of the third issue. Henry robbed England blind, even taking most of the silver from the coins.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. Send that baby out for cleaning. It is no doubt a rare find.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would love to see a follow up pic of that coin after its cleaned

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bristollie or Bristolie; can't wait to see.
Either way, a fantastic find and of great numismatic (quite rare) and historic value.
Get professionally cleaned, for sure.
Meanwhile, I'll give it a BANNER vote; maybe the first to appear on treasurenet.com--and with good reason; its rarity.
Don,....

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, very sweet find! It has my Banner vote, congratulations! :occasion14:

Steve

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin is great, as is the story of the king. Can't wait to see it cleaned up!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super find Rob, can't even remember seeing what at the coin fairs even. I would vote banner but it would be just another long battle :laughing7: I'd clean it myself if it were mine, a pro would only use the same methods as we do.

SS

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Bristollie or Bristolie; can't wait to see.
Either way, a fantastic find and of great numismatic (quite rare) and historic value.
Get professionally cleaned, for sure.
Meanwhile, I'll give it a BANNER vote; maybe the first to appear on treasurenet.com--and with good reason; its rarity.
Don,....
Cheers Don, yes will get it cleaned.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Super find Rob, can't even remember seeing what at the coin fairs even. I would vote banner but it would be just another long battle :laughing7: I'd clean it myself if it were mine, a pro would only use the same methods as we do.

SS
Hello Colin, not sure how to. Could try ultra sound. Electrolysis would fry it.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Rob. You make it look routine buddy but I understand just how hard it is. This will be the second coin I vote Banner on before 5:30 am. Guess I better up my game a bit. You fellas are making me look bad lol

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the find Robert, getting one is truly rare and it seems that it has some pretty good detail on it still. The value has quite the range, and getting some sound advice on getting it cleaned up will be interesting in its self. Post up a picture of the final results when you get there, and once again good dig!:occasion14:

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Wow Rob. You make it look routine buddy but I understand just how hard it is. This will be the second coin I vote Banner on before 5:30 am. Guess I better up my game a bit. You fellas are making me look bad lol
Yes time to up your game Ahab :laughing7:

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Congrats on the find Robert, getting one is truly rare and it seems that it has some pretty good detail on it still. The value has quite the range, and getting some sound advice on getting it cleaned up will be interesting in its self. Post up a picture of the final results when you get there, and once again good dig!:occasion14:
Cheers pepperj, will post after cleaning, fingers crossed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread