First trip of the summer produces a combined 597 years worth of coins (in 2 coins)

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the weather is warming and the fields are planted. The tides seemed just right and my buddy Beau and I decided to put on the wet-suits and jump in the balmy 60 degree water for a day of fun and colonial goodies.

This is the site that I rediscovered last summer that produced dozens of coins and buttons, hundreds of musket balls and a cornucopia of other colonial and 1800s goodies! The particular area dates from the 1600s through the civil war and you can tell it by the amount of iron located within it. Unfortunately the tides were not ideal as they quickly half emptied and even more expediently filled back up. On top of that, neither of us remembered to bring a dive belt as we were just wading and the goodies were in deeper water that proved difficult to get due to the buoyancy of the wet suit.

Still we had a good time and managed to dig a few nice finds. Beau started out with a couple of buttons and musket balls while I was digging a few of my own but struck first with a nice ring that is probably more like 1800s than 1700s as the glass stone is completely crushed. Suddenly, right in the middle of the area I dug fairly consistently last summer out popped an iffy, but repeatable signal and coin#1 surfaced, this one a 1700 William III copper! Moving over a short distance and trying to get into the deeper water I got a signal that I swore would be a chunk of an aluminum can and much to my surprise it was a 1733 George II copper!

Shortly after I dug a nice complete buckle (either a small shoe or larger breeches buckle). A few more musket balls and the occasional button rounded out the day. This site has plenty of hot spots of lead from .70 balls to pellet shot and Beau discovered one full of buck shot pellet. All were certainly 1700s with crude sprus and mold seams and we had fun just fanning away for them, probably a few hundred still there. I managed to pull a nice handful out and he was still at it prior and post. I also ended up in a hole farther from shore with a good number of them as well.

My total for the day was 11 large caliber balls and probably 30 or more of the "shot pellets." My better non-lead finds were certainly the two coins and four buttons and along with brass and iron nails (some of the better ones pictured) and the nice early pewter rat-tail spoon end. Beau ended up with about the same, though he traded his two coppers for one lonely and worn, but nice spanish 1600s cob.

The summer is just beginning boys and girls...onward to more!

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    815.4 KB · Views: 230
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    679.6 KB · Views: 239
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    723.9 KB · Views: 248
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    601.5 KB · Views: 206
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    302.8 KB · Views: 198
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    515.2 KB · Views: 197
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    321.5 KB · Views: 599
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    335 KB · Views: 199
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    725.9 KB · Views: 188
Upvote 17

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the very nice relics and coins. GL&HH.

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow.....nice haul!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice start to your water hunting season Dan.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some nice finds and a big pile of lead stuff from those old smokepoles

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Damn I wish I could find a spot of the 1700s and find relics like yours,vanzutphen

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are some old old old coppers for US soil. Actually weren't those W2's made of tin? Anyway, congrats. 1600's isn't a club too many are part of here in the US.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man, just goes to show ya gotta hunt where others wont, killer finds !!!

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! You sure have a sweet spot there!

Steve

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Dan! I'll be searching along the shoreline in the next few months, but right now it's all about searching the fields before crops are planted.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some old old old coppers for US soil. Actually weren't those W2's made of tin? Anyway, congrats. 1600's isn't a club too many are part of here in the US.

Thanks Scrappy, not sure about the tin. I am blessed to be a part of the 1500's club and believe it or not the 230's AD club all from US soil

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan it's great to see you back and posting. I'm a sucker for those buckles. They seem to be the thing I find on a regular basis. I hope this summer is as great as the last for you

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan it's great to see you back and posting. I'm a sucker for those buckles. They seem to be the thing I find on a regular basis. I hope this summer is as great as the last for you

Thanks man, it is not that I completely disappeared, work and baby life just got crazy again during April plus the fields were planted most everywhere. It felt like a very short fall and winter digging season, hopefully the summer will be different.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great early colonial finds Dan! :hello2:

The ring is probably my favorite find... too bad about the stone being crushed. :p

Dave

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your doing very well so far! Nice bunch of relics! Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread