New to this

Shiloh75

May 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in the Upper Peninsula on Lake Superior. Today I was walking around Bay Furnace which back in 1870s ran a blast furnace. Well some of the shore fell away and left a picture of layers. Top layer was dirt and grass with stone. Second layer was shiny dark rock. Third layers was a green stone, stones range in size from pebbles to muskmelon size dull on the outside but once broken swirls of dark and "lime" green. fourth layer was a foamy type coming in light green and white, easy to crumble, next layer was again the glassy black stuff with other types of rocks in it. The water level of Lake Superior was higher in the time of the blast furnace days. I will be grabbing some of the rocks tomorrow...today I just grabbed pig iron, old square nails and an old metal pin(think used on the horses back in the day).

Upvote 1

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet Shilo..
I'm south of you in the lower,east of Lake Mi..

Your green stone may be slag. Usually glassy and colors depend on type of metals usually..
But then too you are south, maybe s.e. of the greenstone region in Ontario.. Volcanic reasons I think for the greens there.
Unless they covered the slag layer there at the furnace with a layer of stone,(not real likely?) rather than just spreading or dumping it in piles, your layer might relate to the greenstone region through glacial activity or previous volcanic cause?:dontknow:
Some pics of samples and somebody here might be able to take a guess.

Last edited:

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome Shiloh. This forum is a great place to find answers to a whole variety of questions. Happy hunting!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sample pics of the rock layer above the green stone layer might help too.
If it was crushed in mining operations or if smooth from glacial or lake action or a hard solid layer. Mixed or same type and material.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif
Pictures would sure help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread