Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently received permission to hunt a 1800's mill site that has been owned by only 2 families since it was built. Due to the fact that the overgrowth was booming due to all our rain in the last mont and finding ticks on me. I decided to hunt the creek. After getting instruction and encouragement from HomeGuardDan I decided Sunday I would give my Deus its first of many to come swimming lessons. After trying HGD creek technique for a while I finally found a Porsche metal car a screw cap or two and lots of iron.About and hour into my hunt I walked up the shoals toward a dam used to divert water downstream to the waterwheel. I was standing in about 6 inches of water and got a solid 91-92 signal. Confused because I was standing on bedrock I reached under the water and could feel a creavass in the rock. After cleaning out some sand and a few small rocks I could insert my index finger inside and could feel something round. Whatever it was it was wedged so tight it took me 20 minutes to wiggle it out. At last I could get two fingers on it to remove it. Pulling it out I looked at it and started shaking. Finally after all these years My Dream Coin. A Bust Half with a 1810 date. I sat there looking at it about 10 mins before I took out my phone and sent Carolina Tom a shaky blurry pic. Thank you for letting me share my story. And thanks again to HomeGuardDan and Coinmam 123. The first pic is how it came out of water.

IMG_20150510_132114207.jpg IMG_20150511_085140120.jpg IMG_20150511_075857.jpg

Upvote 81
OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FANTASTIC FIND !! counterstamped even..what did it ring up at on the deus, if you remember?

dan[/QUOTE
Thanks Dan. It rang up solid 91-92 which was pretty good considering it was wedged under about 4 inches of solid bedrock in the shoals.

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful coin! And yes most of us noticed the R.S. stamp as well. Nothing gets by the pros on here(I'm not one of them).

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are ten varieties of that coin. Which one do you think you found?
1810 Half Dollar Varieties
Don.......

Don't I really don't have a clue. I wasn't aware til your post that that variations of coin existed. Been busy today answering mail and text from people that are concerned for my safety. Many offers to protect me from snakes and other boogers. Oh course this would be accomplished by swinging a pole with a coil attached to the end.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the big silver find! The coin has a lot of nice detail.

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Getting the permissions was well worth it! I suppose you will be revisiting the location?
Kudos!!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow Tyler, that came out better than I expected. Did you soak it in lemon juice, it might remove some staining but give the coin a more unnatural surface. I love the details, I would call it around EF Details, plus the counterstamp makes it way cooler. As I told you before, that is certainly a dream coin!

Banner!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer coin find:headbang:

I wonder if the counterstamp had anything to do with the Planter Society..

Banner vote is in.

~Blaze~

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another banner vote here. Along with a cool story, I love this find! Would love to know how you cleaned it.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations....awesome find and what a great feeling! :icon_thumleft:

A few weeks ago I dug an 1824 Bust Half in a silver spill with a couple Spanish Reales. I was shaking for the rest of the day.. and then for a week after that I kept thinking it was a dream and would have to go look at them to make sure it really happened. haha

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic silver and with a counter stamp! Great description of it's recovery too!

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an incredible find. And counter stamped to boot. Wow and congratulations.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely incredible- couldn't be happier for you!! Once-in-a-lifetime for most of us!

-- Jeff --

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find! Deff BANNER worthy!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find, especially considering it was your first water hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread