Pre 1650 Buckle Frame, Childs Shoe Buckle?, Broken Belt Plate? Odd Chape

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got back to the site where I dug the early buckle last week. I dug an odd chape with a double internal spike and a single spiked tongue. It doesn't match any in my reference book. It appears to have a tiny little makers mark but I've been unable to make it out. If anybody has any idea on date range Id appreciate the info. Then I dug a small buckle that was a new design for me. Sent a pic to Bill D and was pretty surprised that it dated between 1500-1650. There's an exact match in the Whitehead buckle reference which I recommend to everyone who hunts colonial sites. It's free and very helpful with great pics. I also dug a couple of buttons and a tiny little spoon bowl. This morning I got out for a bit to a different site and dug a strange buckle? Or plate? Of some sort that's broken in half. The last two letters are PF. I would guess the first letter is missing. I really wish I knew what the hell this thing is and what that first letter was. Soon after I dug what looks like a babies shoe buckle. It's got a nice little design and you can see where the pin would have attached in the center. Maybe it was a knee buckle....any thoughts? Also dug the usual round balls and a knife handle. One of my monthly migraines came on so home I went. Now to sleep in a dark room. Thanks for any input guys
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 22

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ahab I smell a rat ,a rat tail spoon ,nice vanzutphen

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nothing wrong with digging those type of finds all day. Congrats on the early buckles Abe each one would pretty up a display really well. When you do manage to pop a coin out of the site it'll be a nice one for sure. All the best on the next hunt and I hope the head has settled down for you.

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Nice digs ABE, the buckles your are finding are real cool. I like digging buckles and like other's have said it helps confirm the age of the sites you are on. Colonial time frame and earlier is the best time frame to dig for sure, CONGRATS :thumbsup:

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hi Abe, you def are on the colonial ground again, love the buckles,
But the Paramedic in me is concerned, How often do you have a migraine type headache ?
Can you tell if it's sinus related or not ? Do you get nosebleeds from time to time ?
I have a def. reason for asking, besides just caring for a fellow hunter.
You can PM privately if you prefer.
Nice finds and can't wait to see what else you get out of there.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are some nice finds Abe.
I would so much dig for hours, and come home with them
relics then 10 merk dimes, and 100 wheats..
Its just the type of hunting we like to do..
I can feel a big one comming soon..

Thanks buddy. Yep once you dig the old stuff you can never go back.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking site Abe :thumbsup: The small curved buckle dates to 1660's-1720 These were used for shoes and for fastening the breeches knee-band below the knee and because of the small size of early shoe buckles they are difficult to differentiate. The Chape...This type was in use by the 1690's, the spike on the loop replacing the stud or anchor method of attaching the buckle to the shoe. This chape single type and the following type with double spike on it are probably both used exclusively for shoe buckles. Most shoe buckles up to the 1720's are used with the single tongue irrespective of the chape type.

Forgot to say, the second little buckle is earlier, first used in the Tudor period up till the 1600's, your type is slightly later, Tudor-Stuart period 1500-1650 so a very nice early buckle from your side..:thumbsup:

SS

Hey SS I really appreciate you taking the time to give me all of this info. I love knowing exactly what I have. This site is nice and early but I've got a couple of earlier ones lined up. Hope to get to em soon

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet finds!! where do you find that buckle information you have? i have many buckles i need to get ID'd

JD I sent you a pm. But for everybody else the Ross Whitehead reference is a free pdf download online.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the buckles Abe. You are on some old ground. I dug the skin of that PF plate or whatever it is about two weeks ago. Mine was broken the same as yours with the last two letters showing. Mine was just the skin - no lead backing. I threw it away, so it will probably turn out to be a rare late - LOL

Lol yeah I'm guessing not too old but I don't have a clue what it is....especially now. I thought it might be a local piece but your find blows that theory out of the water

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another sweet hunt...I never get tired of digging the old buckles!

Yup I love the buckles. This is 6 or 7 for the new season

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow abe, very cool finds, I like how you found the exact match in your book!, that plate is intriguing but I have no idea what it is, and you nailed down the roundballs and buttons with authority yet again. Sucks about the migraines, I had them for about a month straight, not fun:BangHead:

great finds!!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with digging those type of finds all day. Congrats on the early buckles Abe each one would pretty up a display really well. When you do manage to pop a coin out of the site it'll be a nice one for sure. All the best on the next hunt and I hope the head has settled down for you.

Thanks Pep I can't wait to make a buckle display this winter. And yes I'm dying to find another early coin

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs ABE, the buckles your are finding are real cool. I like digging buckles and like other's have said it helps confirm the age of the sites you are on. Colonial time frame and earlier is the best time frame to dig for sure, CONGRATS :thumbsup:

These sites are hard to find and I'm really happy whenever I get on one

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi Abe, you def are on the colonial ground again, love the buckles,
But the Paramedic in me is concerned, How often do you have a migraine type headache ?
Can you tell if it's sinus related or not ? Do you get nosebleeds from time to time ?
I have a def. reason for asking, besides just caring for a fellow hunter.
You can PM privately if you prefer.
Nice finds and can't wait to see what else you get out of there.

Thanks ESM I will pm you buddy

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow abe, very cool finds, I like how you found the exact match in your book!, that plate is intriguing but I have no idea what it is, and you nailed down the roundballs and buttons with authority yet again. Sucks about the migraines, I had them for about a month straight, not fun:BangHead:

great finds!!

Thanks CJ. Yup it's always fun to find the identical specimen. Bill D actually found it for me. He does that a lot 8-)

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Good for you Abe, keeping true to searching for and saving colonial finds!
The direction you're heading will no doubt give you some real treasures.
And I will personally thank you for not posting up the inevitable junk we all take home, just the good stuff please; with the many posts everyday, the cream of the crop is all need to see.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you Abe, keeping true to searching for and saving colonial finds!
The direction you're heading will no doubt give you some real treasures.
And I will personally thank you for not posting up the inevitable junk we all take home, just the good stuff please; with the many posts everyday, the cream of the crop is all need to see.

I agree with the not posting the junk pics, also id like to add its hard to find some of these Threads 3/4 down the page that get buried by the same copy and paste comments from some members..........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread