Pre 1650 Buckle Frame, Childs Shoe Buckle?, Broken Belt Plate? Odd Chape

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got back to the site where I dug the early buckle last week. I dug an odd chape with a double internal spike and a single spiked tongue. It doesn't match any in my reference book. It appears to have a tiny little makers mark but I've been unable to make it out. If anybody has any idea on date range Id appreciate the info. Then I dug a small buckle that was a new design for me. Sent a pic to Bill D and was pretty surprised that it dated between 1500-1650. There's an exact match in the Whitehead buckle reference which I recommend to everyone who hunts colonial sites. It's free and very helpful with great pics. I also dug a couple of buttons and a tiny little spoon bowl. This morning I got out for a bit to a different site and dug a strange buckle? Or plate? Of some sort that's broken in half. The last two letters are PF. I would guess the first letter is missing. I really wish I knew what the hell this thing is and what that first letter was. Soon after I dug what looks like a babies shoe buckle. It's got a nice little design and you can see where the pin would have attached in the center. Maybe it was a knee buckle....any thoughts? Also dug the usual round balls and a knife handle. One of my monthly migraines came on so home I went. Now to sleep in a dark room. Thanks for any input guys
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 22
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you Abe, keeping true to searching for and saving colonial finds!
The direction you're heading will no doubt give you some real treasures.
And I will personally thank you for not posting up the inevitable junk we all take home, just the good stuff please; with the many posts everyday, the cream of the crop is all need to see.

I figure we all know what the junk looks like my friend. I dig a lot less of it on the real early sites but still plenty. And yes I'm pretty well addicted to the early stuff

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the not posting the junk pics, also id like to add its hard to find some of these Threads 3/4 down the page that get buried by the same copy and paste comments from some members..........

I agree it's nice when people actually read your thread and add something or at least reply with a comment that's individual to something in that particular thread

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice early finds.

The chape is from a shoe buckle 1720-90

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice early finds.

The chape is from a shoe buckle 1720-90
WOW,what great buckles and a great site! :occasion14:Any coins you find will be quite old, I believe. Maybe a kW with a readable date:headbang:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ones, Abe - you definitely have a nice early site right there... keep at it, and the coin you desire will show up soon. :)

I need to find this Whitehead buckle book you are referencing - sounds like a must have!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ones, Abe - you definitely have a nice early site right there... keep at it, and the coin you desire will show up soon. :)

I need to find this Whitehead buckle book you are referencing - sounds like a must have!
Keith thanks. If you want Id be happy to email it to you. If not the address shown pm me the one you'd like it sent to

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wtg on finding another early site Abe. From what I read in your and Johnnyblaze's posts, you guys work harder just to get to them than most of us do in our entire hunt.
About not posting your " junk " pics though, with your incredible finds, your junk might be we lowly peasant's treasure though. I remember one of my whatzits getting ID'ed because of a " junk " pic lol. It might just help out a new person whose post doesn't get read or at least responded to. Thanks for all the info in this thread. Very informative!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, maybe your ear is trained to the sweet sound of big buckle brass, you have to retrain it to the sweet sound of colonial copper/silver, lol?

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Great hunt Ahab, looks like you're on a roll.:thumbsup: I've got a buckle very like the one you found. It's bottom left in the picture. I used to make little display cases for my finds. The wife though hated them on the walls.:laughing7:

Attachments

• IMG_6640.JPG
    IMG_6640.JPG
    783.1 KB · Views: 111
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, maybe your ear is trained to the sweet sound of big buckle brass, you have to retrain it to the sweet sound of colonial copper/silver, lol?

Yeah I know man. Where's all the Mass silvers anyway? I figured I'd find one every couple months at least lol.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Ahab, looks like you're on a roll.:thumbsup: I've got a buckle very like the one you found. It's bottom left in the picture. I used to make little display cases for my finds. The wife though hated them on the walls.:laughing7:

Thanks Rob. Not easy to find these early styles over here. You've got some beauties in there man. What do you use to attach them?

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Man! Love the early buckles and stuff. Early buckles are my favorite finds and they seem to always be a bit different. Keep it coming.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool buckle finds Abe, you're definitely the 'Buckle King'... in my eyes anyway buddy! :laughing7:

Dave

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The PF buckle is a mystery. Would you be willing to post a photo of the reverse of the plate with a ruler beside it?

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The PF buckle is a mystery. Would you be willing to post a photo of the reverse of the plate with a ruler beside it?

I sure will buddy. It will be tonight

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Buck I'm wondering if there was another letter before the P. The pics aren't great and I can't find my actual ruler but I would guess that it was approximately 3 1/2" long and maybe 2 1/2 the other way
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions