Queen Victoria LC and Shield Nickel

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was havin' one of those hum drum detecting days so I decided to pack it in and find something to eat. Starin' out the window at the restaurant, noticed a set of corners that was being replaced back in the neighborhood. What the heck? Got the detector with me. Immediately got a signal typical of an IHP and thought "yes!". But almost pitched the coin when I saw the circles...thinking it was another Chucky Cheese token. :laughing7: But then saw the leaves and was pleased to realize it was a Canadian LC. Dropped it in the pouch and continued.

051615CLCF.jpg 051615CLCB.jpg

Went another couple of feet and got a nickel signal. Sure enough out pops a nickel...but I'm having trouble trying to make out Monticello or a Buffalo. Then I see the "5" and I think what the heck is that doing here?:dontknow: Then realized the neighborhood probably dated back to that period.

051615SNF.jpg 051615SNB.jpg

I'm thinking 1868.
Come to realize when I got home that the Canadian LC was actually the older of the coins, and a Queen Vic. My first Queen Vic Canadian LC.:headbang:

I try to hit those "corner" projects when I see them. Usually go home empty handed. But every once in a while they serve up a treat.

Today's finds...

051615Finds.jpg

1859 Queen Victoria Canadian Large Cent
1868 Shield Nickel
(5) Wheatbacks...1939, 1944, 1949-D, 1953-D, 1957-D
Brass gear

PBS

Upvote 8

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice target of opportunity hunt

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i like those older Canadian LCs!, very cool

jmastny78

Jun 13, 2014
Three Rivers, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000
Very nice haul bud! Your finding some nice stuff lately! We have to find some time to hunt together, till then keep doin what your doin! HH

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes very good condition on the pre confederation LC.
There are a few varieties of this date, and "it maybe" the wide 9 over 8, a magnifying glass over the screen isn't helping me, but the hole in the 9 seems more round than the more common narrow 9 variety.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pff, that Vic penny is awesome! There are many varieties on the old Canadian large cents, always fun getting it figured out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread