pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Met up with ANTIQUARIAN once again with the intention to hunt the Railway Station site that we had hit a couple of weeks ago. Well we arrived to find that the farmer hadn't done anything to the corn stalks!:BangHead:There they stood in all their glory waiting to mess up the day of swinging. There we stood at the other end of this huge field trying to think of a plan and I commented that a tannery once stood across the street in which a beautiful limestone building still stood. I said maybe there might of been some action in the corner of the field we were standing in front. So Dave suggested that we have a look see for glass & pottery, none to be seen so we grabbed the gear out of the vehicles and started to get iron everywhere, within a few minutes I had a sweet NON AT PRO 12-42 on the ETRAC :) out pops a 1814 Wellington Half Penny Token, then I think I got a button, then a 1816 Isaac Brock Token, followed by a War 1812 Royal Sappers & Miners Button, then it was almost over. I managed the pewter button that was pretty beat, and a few flat buttons, a great bubble button from one our dug holes :). 4 hrs of chopping stalks then off to the station site for a few lead seals and lots of iron. The day really kind off started rough for both of us, myself forgetting a cap for the head and what turned into getting an awesome new cap from Dave! Thanks buddy you save me from getting the brains cooked.I hope you were happy with the hunt. Enough said here's some pictures.

1814 Wellington Token Here's what they look like.
IMG_20150521_092903301.jpg token-wellington-half-penny-1814.jpg

1816 Isaac Brock Token laying in the dirt. Here's another picture of what they look like.

IMG_20150521_093657281.jpg token-isaac-brock-half-penny-1816.jpg

Here the mitt full of the finds

P1010717.JPG

Not to say there wasn't trash and iron, what made it back to the truck. Lots of the station iron iron went back to the fence line.

P1010715.JPG

Upvote 9

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love digging tokens and those are some cool looking ones . Congratulations

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool looking tokens!!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good hunt there thanks for sharing pepperj :occasion14:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks again for sharing your site with me Jim, you did well in the research department on locating the old railway station! :occasion14:

Hey, we got really lucky with finding that corner lot where you found all the early tokens too... at least you didn't get burned eh! :laughing7:

Dave

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job considering you only had the Etrac, lol! Dave was a good guy, sharing the cap like that.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks again for sharing your site with me Jim, you did well in the research department on locating the old railway station! :occasion14:

Hey, we got really lucky with finding that corner lot where you found all the early tokens too... at least you didn't get burned eh! :laughing7:

Dave

It was a hunt saver for sure and a great example of something being there before the 1860/70 mapping that took place.
Thanks again for the hat Dave it saved me from the wife wrath from getting a head burn.:laughing7:
Thanks also for the great ID on the button also the Royal Sappers and Miners button. The men that lost their lives building the canal system their cemetery is just a few miles up the road from here. It was great that we managed to hook up again at the field and the area might give up a find or two still once it's worked.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good job considering you only had the Etrac, lol! Dave was a good guy, sharing the cap like that.

Well all I can say what a great guy to show up having a quality fitting cap and I even had a colour choice! For the head to head machine performance of the AT Pro and the Etrac both sniffed keepers out of the site and both dug trash, it's great that they got along well hunting in close proximity without interference.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well all I can say what a great guy to show up having a quality fitting cap and I even had a colour choice! For the head to head machine performance of the AT Pro and the Etrac both sniffed keepers out of the site and both dug trash, it's great that they got along well hunting in close proximity without interference.

Yeah, the only time I get any interference from Cjon's Etrac is when he intentionally waves his coil over mine while I am digging a plug lol. The whole time he and I hunted together while he used an ATP, we never had any problems either. Whadifind and I hunted together one time and we could not get within 20 feet of each other lol! What are the chances? I had to change frequencies and we were good then.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, good work

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I had too Dave... I'm certainly not strong enough to carry him out of the field after he faints! :laughing7:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
It's been my experience that research is a wonderful tool but it can only take you so far; then you just have go with your gut and try different places. Sites show up in places where they weren't shown, and don't exist where they were!
The only true test is getting out there and digging!
Your results can attest that you can find good things simply by trying and putting a shovel in the ground. Every place has potential and I'm sure you won't drive by too many more empty fields and not think about them in the same way any longer!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was a hunt saver for sure and a great example of something being there before the 1860/70 mapping that took place.
Thanks again for the hat Dave it saved me from the wife wrath from getting a head burn.:laughing7:
Thanks also for the great ID on the button also the Royal Sappers and Miners button. The men that lost their lives building the canal system their cemetery is just a few miles up the road from here. It was great that we managed to hook up again at the field and the area might give up a find or two still once it's worked.

Hey, I appreciate you asking me to come out, even though I got a speeding ticket racing to get there because I was so excited! :BangHead:

I've decided I'll try and fight it with 'X-copper' to try not to lose the points! :thumbsup:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool old tokens, sometimes id rather them than the old coins!, congrats

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's been my experience that research is a wonderful tool but it can only take you so far; then you just have go with your gut and try different places. Sites show up in places where they weren't shown, and don't exist where they were!
The only true test is getting out there and digging!
Your results can attest that you can find good things simply by trying and putting a shovel in the ground. Every place has potential and I'm sure you won't drive by too many more empty fields and not think about them in the same way any longer!

It's not the driving by that I don't think "I wonder if" It's the stopping and having a good sniff. I sometimes get blinded by the historical maps and have to keep an open mind.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

So true! Our own coinage never started till 1858 and the shortage of coinage prior to that also the Gov't deciding to melt all the light weight tokens made the shortage acute. No official coins were issued but the Bank of Montreal, the Quebec Bank, the City Bank and La Banque du Peuple were given authority to issue penny and halfpenny tokens of a weight similar to that of British copper coins.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not the driving by that I don't think "I wonder if" It's the stopping and having a good sniff. I sometimes get blinded by the historical maps and have to keep an open mind.

One of the problems here is there's MANY fields that are low % ones for old sites, and it's not really worth the time to stop to get permission to try them because most times out of 10 you're not going to find enough to keep you there. These are mostly sites away from the water, and those on the water, it's starting to feel like we've been everywhere. So in either case I think research is really the way to go. I almost always have ideas lined up but it's always interesting because it's crazy how many times we end up somewhere that was not even on the radar.... but I don't mind it as the adventure is part of the fun.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the problems here is there's MANY fields that are low % ones for old sites, and it's not really worth the time to stop to get permission to try them because most times out of 10 you're not going to find enough to keep you there. These are mostly sites away from the water, and those on the water, it's starting to feel like we've been everywhere. So in either case I think research is really the way to go. I almost always have ideas lined up but it's always interesting because it's crazy how many times we end up somewhere that was not even on the radar.... but I don't mind it as the adventure is part of the fun.

Well said. I can't tell you how many times I've been so excited to hunt a spot and been left very disappointed. Then on some random walk through the woods I hit a great colonial spot.
Great job Pep. Good to see a couple of my favorite Tnetters out killing it. Really crazy that you both found what sounds like a great military button

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said. I can't tell you how many times I've been so excited to hunt a spot and been left very disappointed. Then on some random walk through the woods I hit a great colonial spot.
Great job Pep. Good to see a couple of my favorite Tnetters out killing it. Really crazy that you both found what sounds like a great military button

One place that comes to mind is a field that we had two early sites, where Spanish silver was found as well as a good Rev War button, in addition to many other finds. This is somewhere you would not expect early sites because there was a high cliff with no access to the water... but yet they were there! If we would have known how high it was there's a chance we would have passed thinking no way.... but not anymore!

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks Abe, I wish that we had the history that your able to detect on and given the history we're able to access I feel the 1812 and the Loyalist settlements is just about it. I wish I could see what was on the pewter button as I feel it might of been something pretty nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread